Does the employee need to initiate a request for FMLA when…

Does the employee need to...
Does the employee need to initiate a request for FMLA when the employer has clear knowledge of a serious health condition and has tied performance to it?
11/12/2017
Legal Eagle, Lawyer

Hello! I am a licensed attorney, admitted to practice in state and federal court. I have a nearly 100% satisfaction rating (click here for more info) so all that means is that you can count on me to help today. Because I want to provide you with the most accurate answer possible, do you mind if I take a moment to review your question?

Please keep in mind that our conversation does not include an attorney-client relationship and this is for general information purposes only.

I’m willing to wait

Thanks so much for your patience. The answer to your question is no. Once an employer is aware of a condition that would allow an employee to go on FMLA, the employer has an obligation to provide FMLA information to the employee as soon as possible. The employee need not initiate the request for the FMLA as the obligation is on the employer to initiate when and if they find out or if they have reason to believe someone should be receiving FMLA. Did you have any other questions for me?

Thank you so much. That’s what I thought but wanted to make sure.

The pleasure is all mine! Further up on the screen you should see a chance to give me a rating. 5-stars are always appreciated, but it is definitely not required! You can also click here in the future to request me individually. Don’t forget, if you haven’t already, you can always sign up for a membership with Just Answer and start asking more questions on the cheap.

Legal Eagle, Lawyer