Trying to contest a 5150. Nevada. Las Vegas specifically.

Customer Question
Trying to contest a...

Trying to contest a 5150.

Lawyer's Assistant: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.

Nevada. Las Vegas specifically.

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

Just paperwork from trauma. They have only had the doctor sign the 5120 so far, that was last night.

Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: Legal
11/12/2017
Lawyer: Legal Eagle, Lawyer replied 9 months ago
Legal Eagle, Lawyer

Hello! I am a licensed attorney, admitted to practice in state and federal court. I have a nearly 100% satisfaction rating (click here for more info) so all that means is that you can count on me to help today.

Please keep in mind that our conversation does not include an attorney-client relationship and this is for general information purposes only. What specific questions did you have? I have an idea about your situation, but I don’t want to make any assumptions.

Last night, my boyfriend was taken to the emergency room because he cut his wrist. He’s not mentally unstable, he just needed physical medical attention. He’s now being held on L2H / 5150. He’s trying to get out of it, and contest it, refuse treatment.

I see what you mean. Have you been given notice of the date/time of his hearing regarding the hold?

No, we have not. We just now he’s supposed to be transferred from UMC to Spring Mountain treatment later today.

I see what you mean. Generally, if someone is placed on an involuntary hold in NV, a date, time and place for a hearing regarding the matter must be set within 5 judicial days after the petition is filed with the court.

The state of NV says that your loved one has the right to be represented by an attorney during the hearing and your loved one has the right to be present and testify at the hearing and family and/or caregiver(s) may also attend

If your loved one signs a consent form, a public or private mental health facility will contact a spouse or legal guardian upon admission to the facility. You can find some local help with the Nevada Disability Advocacy & Law Center to possibly find an attorney who will assist you in making sure that he is released if he needs to be released.

What other questions did you have for me?