My father passed 1 month ago and I believe my father was…

Customer Question
My father passed 1...

My father passed 1 month ago and I believe my father was being abused by the caretaker. He told me about how he felt and situations that made him feel like he wasn't safe. It started right after the caretaker got him to put her on his annuity account as the main beneficiary. She also took him to the court house to get a marriage license right after his chemo therapy. Both events happened 1 week before his death. She also got him to take out a $10,000 loan for a new van because her car broke down. Now there is still a balanced owed for her vehicle in my Dads name. Excessive amounts of money withdrawn from the atm on both of my Dad's bank accounts and he could not walk. His bank showed me discrepancies on the signatures oh his withdrawal slips. Dish network accounts being auto debited from his checking accounts for years that he did not know about that she had set up. Unauthorized charges on the internet for multiple things. My Dad was already paying for her rent, utilities, gas, dog food, food, spending money and that wasn't enough. She made him feel like she was the only one who cared and was taking care of him so he would feel so obligated to give her whatever she asked for. She manipulated him daily and caused so many problems in the family and when we finally intervened we had to get a retraining order to keep him safe. She has a very long record in Washington State. She is 55 and my Dad is 70. Her previous husband was 80 and passed already.

Lawyer's Assistant: What state is this in? And how old is the car?

My question is how do I file for an elder abuse case and how do I remove her as beneficiary to anything of my Dads being that he was on so many narcotics and under duress 1 week before his death?

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

Not yet as I just got all my paper work written out,

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

No thank you

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Legal
11/12/2017
Lawyer: LegalKnowledge, Attorney replied 8 months ago
LegalKnowledge, Attorney

Hi! I will be the professional that will be helping you today. I look forward to providing you with information to help with your question and concern

Good morning. I am sorry to hear about the situation and the passing of your father. Abuse against the elderly is a crime, so you would need to go to the police and file a report. It may be hard to show there was any physical abuse but if you can show she stole from him and took advantage of him because of his health and situation, they may be able to charge her. Moreover, removing her as beneficiary and trying to go after her to recover the money she took, is also a civil issue/matter, so you need to retain an attorney. I say this because you will have to show and prove that he did not voluntarily do this and she took advantage of him because of his age and their relationship, as his caretaker. That she forced him to do this and it was not voluntary and that it happened, while he was under the influence of drugs. You can try and show the marriage was a fraud and she only did this to get his money and assets, once he passed.

I just wanted to follow up and see if you had any other questions or needed me to clarify something. I am here to help, so please let me know. Thanks!