I want to know if I need a lawyer. NE. None. I am being

Customer Question
I want to know...

I want to know if I need a lawyer

Lawyer's Assistant: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.

NE

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have been taken so far?

None

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I am being charged with possession of illegal drugs

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Legal
11/12/2017
Lawyer: N Cal Atty, Lawyer replied 8 months ago
N Cal Atty
N Cal Atty, Lawyer

I am sorry to hear this.

What are the charges and which court is this in?

Possession of marijuana and the court in Papillion

Anyone charged with any crime would usually benefit from having an attorney.

The penalties for simple possession vary a lot depending on the quantity, see

http://norml.org/laws/item/nebraska-penalties-2

There are attorneys in Nebraska who specialize in marijuana cases, listed here.

If you tell me how they found it, I can tell you if I think is was a legal search and arrest.

If you cannot afford an attorney, you can ask the Court to appoint one for you.

I hope this inforrmation is helpful.

My offense would be my first offesne 1 oz or less. I was in a park parking lot, the cop just pulled up behind me and put the lights on. After getting records & registration, etc. he asked if I had been smoking and if I had any illegal substances in the car. I said yes, and he said thanks for being honest bc I smell the weed. Then he brought me to the cop car and they searched my car.

Did he ask for your permission to search?

"Nebraska is one of the 22 states that do not jail first-time offenders found in possession of a small amount of cannabis. First offense possession of up to an ounce of marijuana is a civil infraction punishable under Nebraska law by a $300 fine — and a possible drug education course — instead of jail time and is a citation as opposed to an arrest. Second offense possession of up to an ounce carries a $400 fine and up to five days in jail, and third offense possession is punishable by up to a week in jail and a fine of $500. Second and third offense possession are misdemeanors, but are only citable, and not arrestable, offenses."

from

https://www.mpp.org/states/nebraska/

If you gave permission to search, the arrest was legal. If not, it might still have been legal under what is called the automobile exception to the Fourth Amendment.

I suggest consulting a local attorney prior to entering a plea.