If my husband and I have a legal separation document in

Customer Question
If my husband and...

If my husband and I have a legal separation document in which he assumes all our debt, including that which is in both are names, and he goes bankrupt, am I still liable?

Lawyer's Assistant: Because family law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

New York

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

No

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Legal
11/11/2017
Lawyer: Barrister, Attorney replied 8 months ago
Barrister, Attorney

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney and will try my best to help with your situation. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I type out an answer or reply.

.

.

Yes, because the creditors don't care what agreement that you enter into privately with your husband if you are on the debts as a guarantor. They can still come after anyone who is listed on the debts, regardless of any private agreement.

.

So if he filed BK and you were a guarantor on the debt, then that leaves you as the only one on the hook for them then..

.

.

thanks

Hello again,

.

I just wanted to touch base with you and check in.

.

Did you have any further questions I can help with?

.

.

Thanks much