I had an agreement with my aunt and uncle that I would sell…

Customer Question
I had an agreement...

I had an agreement with my aunt and uncle that I would sell them a house for a dollar as long as they made all the mortgage payments my aunt passed away my uncle moved out. My cousin needed a place to stay so I made him the same offer he passed away 2 months ago. I have not received any payment for the mortgage in 2 months. Do I have the right to put this house on the market to sell I want to go in and clean it up but my other cousin said I had no right to go in the house for any reason the house is titled to me I have made the house payments

Lawyer's Assistant: Because real estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Ohio columbus

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

No not even the agreement

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I do not think so

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Legal
11/11/2017
Lawyer: Barrister, Attorney replied 5 months ago
Barrister, Attorney

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney and will try my best to help with your situation. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I type out an answer or reply.

.

Was this deal made in writing and signed by the person it was made to?

.

Is the house deed still in your name?

.

Has anyone filed a probate case to settle cousin's estate?

.

Does he have his personal property still in the house?

.

.

thanks

it was in writing
the house is deeded to me
cousin had no estate to settle
I do not know what is in the house if anything

Ok, if the deal was that all the mortgage payments had to be made to pay off the house and then you would deed it over for $1, then that is essentially a land contract and his estate would then be responsible for making the payments or you could declare the contract in default and it would forfeit the house.

.

So if there was no probate case filed to settle his estate, then you would just need to send a letter to the house, both first class and certified mail, addressed to his estate, and state that you are giving the estate 30 days to comply with the agreement and make all past due payments or the contract will be in default and you will declare the property forfeit..

.

When no one responds, you are then free to retake possession of the house and sell it.

,

,

thanks

Hello again,

.

I just wanted to touch base with you and check in.

.

Did you have any further questions I can help with?

.

.

Thanks much

No further questions both letters sent

You are very welcome. Happy to help any time.

.

It was my pleasure to work with you and help with your question. If you ever need me in the future, you can post a new question with "For Barrister" in the title and the JustAnswer employees will get it to me.

.

If you feel I have answered all your questions, I would very much appreciate a 5 star rating by clicking on the rating scale on your screen as that is the only way I receive credit for my work.

.

.

Thanks much

Please take a moment to rate my service as that is the only way I am compensated for my work.

.

.

thanks

Barrister, Attorney