Is this where I ask a question? MN. I'm not sure

Customer Question
Is this where I...

Is this where I ask a question?

Lawyer's Assistant: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.

MN

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

No

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I'm not sure.

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Legal
If a person co-signs on a car loan, and has made all of the payments thus far, which equates to around $5,000 on a $25,000 car, and the owner of the car refuses to sign the car over and is actually hiding the car from the co-signer, does the co-signer have a foot to stand on. Can she seek legal counsel and get the car back. All that is wanted is for the car to be signed over. The other person has no intentions on paying any payments. The co-signer does not want credit score to be hurt so feel obligated to make payments, even though they are not using it. Any insights?
11/11/2017
Lawyer: N Cal Atty, Lawyer replied 8 months ago
N Cal Atty
N Cal Atty, Lawyer

Thank you for your question.

The answer is Yes, you could file a lawsuit seeking a declaration that you are the sole owner. Based on the fact that you made all the payments, the Court can declare that you are the equitable owner and can order the legal owner to sign over title to you, or can issue a judgment stating that you are the legal owner (procedures vary somewhat in different States).

You can get a free consultation from some of the attorneys listed by location here.

Please follow up on this with a local attorney.

I hope this information is helpful.

Would you say the com-signed wins these types of cases most of the time? Hate to it for an attorney if the percentages are in the other person’s favor.

I think you have a very strong claim to ownership of the vehicle, but a local attorney will have a better idea of the likelihood of winning the case. I have never been to Minnesota.