I have been going to court for the past five months. I was…

Customer Question
I have been going to...
I have been going to court for the past five months. I was caught transporting 30 pounds of methamphetamines in Arizona. First offense ever. I was in a bad place mentally, and made a terrible decision in getting associated with the wrong people. So this coming monday I have court and though it is not sentencing I might sign my first deal that yhe prosecutor is offering. 5 years with 85% time completion. I truly wasnt in a healthy state of mind back then and simply made the absolute worse choice I have ever made. Should I sign that deal or should I try to get another meeting and express more?
Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: Legal
11/10/2017
Lawyer: RobertJDFL, Attorney replied 9 months ago
RobertJDFL, Attorney

Thank you for using Just Answer. I am a licensed attorney and look forward to helping you. I am reviewing your question and will reply back shortly.

I have been out on bail for the past 5 months and have done nothing other than work hard, took a few college courses, was attending drug rehab classes every week, and help my family out. I truly want to know if I should skip signing this deal that is being offered to try and talk once more with the prosecutor but I am afraid that if I dont sign this deal they are offering that I will go to court and the sentence would be much worse.

Good afternoon,

I'm sorry to hear about your situation. Honestly, while the prosecutor may be sympathetic to what you were dealing with, normally the first offer you get is going to be the best. I'd think after 5 months, your lawyer (if you have one) has likely gone through a bunch of back and forth in trying to negotiate a reduction in penalties and this is as good as it's going to get. A prosecutor isn't obligated to offer you any kind of deal, and could decide not to offer anything else and just let you go to trial, where if you are convicted, the penalties are going to be far, far worse.

Arizona is also a state that harsly punishes crimes involving methamphetamines. Possession of as little as 9 grams will get you a mandatory 5 year sentence which must be served as "flat" time -meaning they make a person serve the full sentence. I can understand you are trying to better yourself, and no one wants to go away to prison. But in light of the large quantity you were caught with and the fact that you are being offered a low sentence with the opportunity to be able to serve 85% of the sentence, I think it's fair.

Obviously, no one can tell you what to do --it is ultimately your decision -- and if you have a lawyer, I think you need to discuss the offer with them as well.

The deal they gave me has an expiration date of Nov 13th. Is there any way I could get my freedom extended a little longer on that expiration date? It has already been extended two months. I might be asking to much but do you have any advice on trying to get even more time before I am taken into custody?

All you can do is ask and see if they will give you a date that you can surrender on, even if you sign the deal on Monday. It's something that's left to the court. Ideally, if you have a strong reason that you need more time -you are finishing up a class, you are in treatment for a serious medical condition and still need care that you cannot get inside the facility, you are caring for a sick parent and need to arrange for care, etc. they would be more inclined to consider it.