What are th4implications when a father might pass away while…

Customer Question
What are th4implications when...

What are th4implications when a father might pass away while having two friends both female living with him? We live out of state and plan on asking them to leave within a reasonable time frame. Can they prevent us from accessing his house even though we are his children and executors of his trust. We are just trying to find out what problems we might encounter upon his demise.

Lawyer's Assistant: Estate laws vary by state. What state are you in?

We live in Texas and Ohio. He lives in FLorida.

Lawyer's Assistant: What documents or supporting evidence do you have?

We have seen copies of his Trust but do not have a copy. It is in his files inside his home. We believe that his Lawyer would have a copy also..

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

We are concerned with what problems we might encounter upon his death with the two women (48 & 50) living with him. They are living there free and he provides room and board while they supposedly provide companionship to a lonely 92 year old. He has one of them there as a "care giver" should he need it.

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Legal
11/10/2017
Lawyer: Legal Eagle, Lawyer replied 8 months ago
Legal Eagle, Lawyer

Hello! I am a licensed attorney, admitted to practice in state and federal court. I have a nearly 100% satisfaction rating (click here for more info) so all that means is that you can count on me to help today. Because I want to provide you with the most accurate answer possible, do you mind if I take a moment to review your question?

Please keep in mind that our conversation does not include an attorney-client relationship and this is for general information purposes only.

Thanks so much for your patience. Generally, if you are the executors of his trust, this means that you would be able to reasonably access his personal and real property to help administer the estate. This means that you cannot be prevented from accessing his own home. You may be prevented from accessing certain areas that belong to his friends, but otherwise, you won't be prohibited from generally accessing the home to gather his belongings, to appraise the home or to do what's necessary to fix up the home. Now, because he has people living with him, they are going to be considered tenants, which means that they have some right not to have anyone meddle with their own personal property. For instance, you won't be able to go into their bedrooms; however, if they are holding property that belongs to the estate, you can demand it back. Thus, in your case, there should be no restrictions.

Also, although I provided an initial answer, it’s important that you are 100% satisfied. If you feel I have done so, please rate me 5 stars and let me know if you have any follow up questions. As a side note, you can also click here in the future to request me individually.