I recently split from my fiance. We adopted a dog together.

Customer Question
I recently split from...

I recently split from my fiance. We adopted a dog together. Both of our names are ***** ***** adoption papers. I have paid every vet bill, bought the food, carry the pet insurance and he is my registered emotional support animal, he is with me currently as she left us for 3 monhts before breaking off the engagement. Can she sue me for custody of the dog? I live in CA

Lawyer's Assistant: Because family law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

I am in california

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

I have not

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I think that about sums it up

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Legal
11/10/2017
Lawyer: Barrister, Attorney replied 5 months ago
Barrister, Attorney

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney and will try my best to help with your situation. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I type out an answer or reply.

.

Can she sue me for custody of the dog?

.

Legally if you both got the dog together, then it is a jointly owned asset. Dogs are considered personal property, like a TV or a couch, and if you were both on any paperwork when you took possession of the dog, you are both legal owners.

.

The only way that changes is if one of you makes a gift to the other person of your interest in the dog. That could be a verbal or written gift. If that occurs then the dog becomes the sole property of the one person. But leaving the dog with you for a period of time wouldn't mean she gave up her legal ownership of the dog.

.

So to answer your question directly, yes, she could sue for visitation with the dog..

.

.

thanks

Thanks BarristerA few questions:If she does sue, does that go through small claims court?Say she wins? What does CA law dictate and what could the potential outcome be?

You are very welcome. Happy to help any time.

.

If she does sue, does that go through small claims court?

.

Correct.

.

Say she wins? What does CA law dictate and what could the potential outcome be?

.

It just means that she owns half the dog, so the judge would set up some type of schedule where you would have the dog for a while, maybe a week, and then you would switch.. just like a child custody situation.. They are decided on a case to case basis..

.

That is if she actually decided to file a suit over this..

.

.

thanks

Hello again,

.

I just wanted to touch base with you and check in.

.

Did you have any further questions I can help with?

.

.

Thanks much

Barrister, Attorney