Mr., I wanted to provide you with an update and ask your…

Customer Question
Hi Mr. Bradley, I wanted...
Hi Mr. Bradley, I wanted to provide you with an update and ask your advice. I notified the condo association this past Tuesday of my cancelled check. I told them I was unable to afford it. They notified the owner on Wednesday of my inability to rent the condo. She never reached out to me. I contacted her Thursday to let her know I'd cancelled the check and would be unable to take possession of her condo. She replied (included the realtors and her attorneys) stating that I would be required to pay the early termination fee of 2 months' rent. I want to argue that she left that section of the contract blank (see screenshot) and I didn't agree to any amount. I'd like to offer to give her $1,000 to cover Nov 1-15 in the interest of a quick resolution. Is that fair or can she technically argue the lease is blank and it's implied that it's equal to 2 months' rent?
Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Legal
11/10/2017
Lawyer: Michael Bradley, Lawyer replied 8 months ago
Michael Bradley

in my opinion under the lease, there is no amount so you do not owe anything, I see where it says 2 months but that is the max not the amount owed

if it went to court I believe a judge would have to agree since no amount is listed

your offer is more than fair since I believe you owe nothing

she can argue but the blank to me is zero

Hi Michael,
Thank you so much for your reply.
I replied to the landlord and she is now threatening to sue me for the entire lease due to "breach of contract". This is after she stated in a previous email that this was simply an early termination of contract. I can forward you the emails via the email address you provided previouslyHer position is shifting and I'd like a letter to come from you to her stating the opinion and your interpretation of the contract. Also to clarify the inconsistency in her position as I believed I offered her a fair and reasonable alternative to litigation in the interest of recovering partial funds more quickly.
Is this something that you could assist me with?

first of all she can not sue for the entire lease

once you have put her on notice that you were terminating the lease for cause the landlord has the legal obligation to find another tenant