My wife and I are separated and she has a vehicle in my name…

Customer Question
My wife and I...

My wife and I are separated and she has a vehicle in my name can she legally transfer without my signatur

Lawyer's Assistant: Because family law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

AR but she is probably Indiana

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

No

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Legal
11/10/2017
Lawyer: Legal Eagle, Lawyer replied 7 months ago
Legal Eagle, Lawyer

Hello! I am a licensed attorney, admitted to practice in state and federal court. I have a nearly 100% satisfaction rating (click here for more info) so all that means is that you can count on me to help today. Because I want to provide you with the most accurate answer possible, do you mind if I take a moment to review your question?

Please keep in mind that our conversation does not include an attorney-client relationship and this is for general information purposes only.

hello

Great, thanks, ***** ***** moment...

Thanks so much for your patience. I'm still reviewing your situation. One moment...

Thank you very much for your patience on this. I had some other things come unexpectedly. Okay, so the answer to your question is no. Even if you are separated, if your vehicles are still both titled in your name, or if it is titled in your name alone, she is not allowed to transfer it over to anyone else, including herself, without your prior approval. The DMV should also not be transferring this to anyone else without your consent or approval as well. Thus, the answer to your question is no. IF she does, then this could be considered fraud, theft, or at least a conversion (substantial dominion and control over someone's personal property). Did you have any other questions for me?