I have a question regarding issuance of a death certificate…

Customer Question
I have a question...

I have a question regarding issuance of a death certificate for a missing person.

Lawyer's Assistant: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.

Colorado

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

He was registered as a missing person on 09/12/2012 There was a police report from an incident that happened the night he disappeared. He has not been seen or heard from since that night.

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Legal
Answered in 1 hour by:
11/10/2017
Lawyer: N Cal Atty, Lawyer replied 8 months ago
N Cal Atty
N Cal Atty, Lawyer

Thank you for posting.

I am not sure exactly what your question is but Colorado will presume that a person missing for over 5 years is dead, see

http://codes.findlaw.com/co/title-15-probate-trusts-and-fiduciaries/co-rev-st-sect-15-10-107.html

Normally the authorities will not issue a death certificate in this situation without a court order.

"If a death is presumed to have occurred in Colorado but the remains cannot be located, a certificate may be prepared upon a court order, which must include findings of facts required to complete the certificate." from

State of Colorado Certificate of Death Completion Guide

You can get a free consultation from some of the Colorado probate attorneys listed by location here.

Please follow up on this with a local attorney.

I hope this information is helpful.