Need to find a lawyer to see if my son has a case for civil…

Customer Question
Need to find a...

Need to find a lawyer to see if my son has a case for civil rights and if he has a case to sue police department

Lawyer's Assistant: Since laws vary from place to place, what state is this in? And when did this happen?

In Kentucky the police are always pulling him over and other things

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

He keeps getting arrested some of his charges should be dismissed and he and now he is in jail they refuse to reduce his bond he always paid them

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

His case is complicated and he feel that his not being treated far and they keep putting his trail off hes been in jail now almost six months

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Legal
Answered in 1 hour by:
11/10/2017
Lawyer: Zoey, JD, Attorney replied 5 months ago
Zoey, JD
Zoey, JD, Attorney

I'm Zoey.

I've reviewed your post. Are you asking how you go about finding a civil rights lawyer, or were you looking for an opinion on whether your son might have a case? If the latter, please give some facts about why he is in jail and what they keep charging him with.

Mostly drug charges n something about a gun charge they took out of a lock box that was on his girlfriend another was found in a car he was in as a passenger they won't reduce his bond because of 2 fta one he was in jail and the jail messed up the court date the other was due to his lawyer telling him one thing and doing another

Unfortunately, when the judge has reason to believe a defendant is a flight risk, they set bail high. However, bail can be reviewed at any point during the case. The judge will want to see a change of circumstance for the better with regard to the defendant's case and sooner or later, facts will emerge that will break in your son's favor. When that happens many judges will reduce bail, sometimes even just release the defendant, depending upon the nature of those facts.

You mentioned delay. If that delay is caused only by the state, rather than the defense attorney agreeing to the delay or requesting the delay, that can be grounds for a reduction of bail.

The judge has been asked he keeps turn him down and its the DA who keeps putting it off and as far as being a flight risk he's not and the judge knows this he's paid fibes and all if his bonds before

Thanks for the further details.

Every time a defendant asks for a reduction of bail, the prosecutor asks for an increase. The judge makes a determination based on the equities in the case. Here, he believes high bail is justified. I don't pretend to know all his reasons. It doesn't have to be based simply upon his two failures to appear. It could have to do with the strength of the state's case and the rest of your son's criminal history.

His lawyer can revisit the idea of a bail reduction again, when he thinks he will have a better chance.

However, if the delay is always caused by the state, eventually a bail review should be successful and with excessive delay on the part of the prosecutor, the case could even be dismissable. You need to talk to his lawyer about your son's speedy trial rights.

Just checking in to see if you need more help or any clarification of my answer. If so, please reply here on this question thread.

Zoey, JD
Zoey, JD
Zoey, JD, Attorney