I have a debt that I am being sued for that is 10 years old.

Customer Question
I have a debt...

I have a debt that I am being sued for that is 10 years old. The debt collector filed the case 1 month before the statute of limitation was to expire.

Lawyer's Assistant: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

I am in Illinois

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you contacted the manufacturer?

I entered into a title loan agreement with lighthouse financial back on 09/08/2007 according to the papers I was served

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Legal
Answered in 1 minute by:
11/10/2017
Lawyer: Barrister, Attorney replied 5 months ago
Barrister, Attorney

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney and will try my best to help with your situation. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I type out an answer or reply.

.

I have read your comments, but I am not sure what your legal question is?

.

.

thanks

What can I do about this debt ? They are now suing me for a debt that is 10 years old.
This is a title loan company that I entered into an agreement with back in 2007. They filed a lawsuit against me what would be my best course of action.

To be very honest with you, if they filed before the SOL expired, and the debt is yours, and it is unpaid, then your best "bad" option is to try and settle with them prior to going to court. If you go to court, they will eventually end up with a judgment against you and will likely tack on a few thousand in attorney fees on top of what they are trying to get now.

.

So settling and entering into some type of payment plan is going to be your cheapest way out of this unless you have other unpaid debts and want to consider filing bankruptcy..

.

You can always threaten to file BK if they won't settle with you by telling them that you may have to file to wipe out this and a few other debts if you can't work it out. If you filed, they get nothing and they know it..

.

.

thanks

Barrister, Attorney