I am a student who has been accused of academic dishonesty.

Customer Question
Hi, I am a...

Hi, I am a student who has been accused of academic dishonesty. I have decided to contest the allegation because I do not believe I am in the wrong. Shall I continue?

Lawyer's Assistant: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.

My school is in Indiana.

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

An allegation has been filed, and an initial investigation is going on right now

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

The matter has to do with incorrect citation. And this is a first time offense.

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Legal
11/10/2017
Lawyer: Olivia Kent, Attorney replied 8 months ago
Olivia Kent
Olivia Kent, Attorney

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. My name is ***** ***** I'm an attorney. Please note this site is general information for educational purposes only and doesn’t constitute not legal advice. You might be offered a phone call, but you are under no obligation to accept; the phone call requests don’t come from me - they’re offered by the website - but if you do want a phone call I’d be happy to do that as well. I'll be happy to help you in any way I can. What can I answer for you?

Hi! I have been accused of plagiarism, and I have been reported to the Honor Board. An initial investigation is underway, to see if there is enough evidence for a hearing to take place. My professor has a problem with my citations, i.e. I have cited everything, but have not used quotation marks for some of the citations. He believes this is an attempt to pass on someone's work as my own but I have not done that.
I have the option of writing a statement explaining myself for the investigation. Should I do so?

You should absolutely do so - and you should explain why certain citations do not warrant quotations (ie. b/c they're not direct quotes). If you push back hard they'll see that you're serious.

Nothing good will come from doing nothing and "seeing what happens"...

There's also the fact that the things I wrote were statistics, eg: the main raw materials were coal and oil, or the war of independence took place in 1857. I asked my professor in a meeting before he reported me how he would have written these sentences differently, and he said he couldn't think of anything. Should I mention that in the statement or is that too aggressive?

Being aggressive in this case is okay... and in this case that is not an aggressive statement - it's a true one. There are only a certain number of ways you can say certain things!

What are my chances of getting out of these allegations?

Crystal ball... I wish I could tell you otherwise... It just depends upon whether you can explain away your citation deficiencies - if there are deficiencies.

Can I answer anything else for you? If you have specific citation questions I can answer those as well :)