There is a 15 yr old who is looking for some parttime work,

Customer Question
There is a 15...

There is a 15 yr old who is looking for some parttime work, I am a 77 yr old who is disabled and I can use some help around the house. I wonder if there is a way to employ this young person without incurring suit for injuries, etc.

Lawyer's Assistant: Because real estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

California

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

No

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I don't think so.

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Legal
11/9/2017
Lawyer: Legal Eagle, Lawyer replied 8 months ago
Legal Eagle, Lawyer

Hello! I am a CA licensed attorney, admitted to practice in state and federal court. I have a nearly 100% satisfaction rating (click here for more info) so all that means is that you can count on me to help today. Because I want to provide you with the most accurate answer possible, do you mind if I take a moment to review your question?

Please keep in mind that our conversation does not include an attorney-client relationship and this is for general information purposes only.

what do yo think?

I see, just one moment while I review...

Thanks so much for your patience. Minors are allowed to work in the state of California. Under the California Labor Code, "minor" is defined as any person under the age of 18 years required to attend school under the provisions of the Education Code. This means that the 15 year old would be a minor. It is generally illegal to employ minors without a valid work permit issued by the local school district, for more hours than permitted, or in dangerous jobs. Before starting work in California, a minor has to obtain an employer-specific work permit, renewable annually.

A work permit shows name of minor, social security number, birth date, address, phone number, current school attended, allowable work hours per day and per week during the school term, and expiration date. The permit is issued by the school district in which the minor resides or is enrolled, after the district receives a parent or legal guardian's written request, evidence of the minor's age, and a prospective employer's statement of intent to hire. It is revokable if the work is harming the child's health or schooling. Minors 14 to 15 years of age may work up to 3 hours on a school day, 8 hours on a nonschool day, and 18 hours in a week, between 7 a.m. and 7 p.m. when school is in session, until 9 p.m. from June 1st through Labor Day, and as many as 40 hours per week when school is out.

Thus, you can hire the 15 year old, so long as they get a permit and you comply with the hourly requirement.

What other questions did you have for me?