Ask a Lawyer and Get Answers to Your Legal Questions

My husband had a case filed in Eastern District Court in

Hi, my husband had a...
Hi, my husband had a case filed in Eastern District Court in Wayne County, Michigan. Case was filed 10/12/17 and I'm trying to figure out how I can tell if the defendant was served
JA: Since laws vary from place to place, what state is this in?
Customer: they have 20 days to respond Michigan
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: On a site called Pacer I can see the complaint and the summons but no evidence it was served to the defendant I'm trying to determine when the 20 days is up
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: no, what I wrote sums up my question
11/9/2017
KJL LAW
KJL LAW, Lawyer
Good afternoon. I am a legal expert attorney who will assist you today. For clarification, it was filed in Federal Court, correct?
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
It was filed in US District Court, Eastern District of Michigan, Southern Division
I can’t do a phone call right now but I can answer online
KJL LAW
KJL LAW, Lawyer
Joycelaw
Joycelaw, Attorney
Phone call session started
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
that's fine
An answer is a formal written response to a plaintiff’s complaint in which the defendant responds to all of the allegations in the complaint and sets forth any defenses to all or part of plaintiff’s claims.In Federal court, an answer is filed by the defendant after s/he has been served with a copy of the complaint. They have twenty-one (21) days to file an answer. The United States government, its agencies, and employees have sixty (60) days to file an answer. See Rule 12 of the Federal Rules of Civil Procedure.The file Answer will show up on PACER the day after filing the answer.I hope this clarifies. Please don’t forget to rate the question with stars so that I will receive credit and payment for assisting you with your question.
To find out when it was served you have to wait until the process server filed an an affidavit of service with the court.
Remember m, Proof of service is a formality to establish that the respondent was served. The date the proof of service was filed will have no affect on the time for the respondent to answer. The respondent's time to respond begins on the day he receives service. If there is some issue about what that day was, the proof of service is evidence of the service date.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
patience is not my strong suit so I am just trying to figure out when their 21 days is up, and need the date of service to make that calculation. I look every morning on Pacer and there's never anything more than the complaint and the summons
Unfortunately it may not be filed until after the time to answer has expired
KJL LAW
KJL LAW
KJL LAW, Lawyer