I have a problem with a furniture purchase. Did any of what…

Customer Question
I have a problem...

I have a problem with a furniture purchase. Did any of what I typed earlier come through with this request?

Lawyer's Assistant: What state are you in? And is a local attorney or other consumer protection advocate helping with this?

West Virginia. I haven't tried to find an attorney yet.

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you contacted the manufacturer?

All contact with the manufacturer must be through the retailer I bought the furniture from. The retailer only can contact the manufacturer.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

He made a warranty claim and informed me by letter today it was denied and I have to pay the balance on this furniture. I have no had a chance to talk with any representative of the manufacturer despite being promised that.

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Legal
11/9/2017
Lawyer: socrateaser, Lawyer replied 5 months ago
socrateaser, Lawyer

A manufacturer that provides a written warranty cannot provide any warranty language that states that the manufacturer's decision is final. In short, if you believe that the manufacturer has a duty to repair or replace under the written warranty, then you can sue both the manufacturer and retailer to obtain satisfaction. I don't know how much money is at stake, but if it's no more than $5,000, then you can sue in small claims court without a lawyer.

Note: In addition to the manufacturer's written warranty, there is also an "implied warranty of merchantability," which the manufacturer and retailer must honor. Products which are not of "fair and average quality" violate the implied warranty, and create a separate ground for legal action in addition to the manufacturer's warranty.

Also, if you purchased the furniture with a credit card, and it has been less than 60 days since the bill first appeared on your credit card statement, then you can complain to the credit card issuer, and it may remove the entire payment from your bill.

I hope I've answered your question. Please let me know if you require further clarification. And, please provide a positive feedback rating for my answer (click 3, 4 or 5 stars) -- otherwise, Justanswer retains your entire payment, and I receive nothing for my efforts in your behalf. Note: If you cannot find the rating button on your webpage, please just type in your rating in a response to this note, and customer service will apply the rating for you.

Thanks again for using Justanswer!

socrateaser, Lawyer