California Inheritance and Medi-Cal health insurance

question. Medi-Cal requirements have changed in...
California Inheritance and Medi-Cal health insurance question.
Medi-Cal requirements have changed in the last few years, and my wife and I have been receiving health benefits thru Medi-Cal.
My wife will receive an inheritance very soon and we are wondering how that will affect our health insurance?
Will we lose it? Of course, i can't get thru on the phone with the case workers due to high call volume. I get dropped every time.
Would like to get a strategy to reduce the obligations after receiving the inheritance money of at least 10K-20K
11/9/2017
KLAW
KLAW, Lawyer
Good morning. I am a legal expert who will assist you today.
Ok. Have you read my question yet?
Receiving an inheritance may impact eligibility for either or both SSI and Medi-Cal benefits.Currently, there are two distinct programs within Medi-Cal.The first program is the "Medical" Benefit, which acts as a health insurance benefit. The asset qualification depends on single or married status. If single, an individual must hold less than $2,000 in total assets excluding one home and one car. Life Insurance and Burial Plan must each be equal to or less than $1,500 in cash value. If married, the couple must hold less than $3,000 in total assets excluding one home and one car. Life Insurance and Burial Plan must each be equal to or less than $1,500 in cash value per spouse. In addition to the one car and one home, the value of an IRA account can also be exempted as long as the recipient is receiving a monthly distribution based on the Medi-Cal formula.Also, there is the "Long Term Care" entitlement that covers medical expenses but also helps with Skilled Nursing Facility expenses and Hospice in most cases. If both spouses are in a Nursing Home, their joint assets cannot exceed $2000 excluding a home, car and burial policies as described above.In your case, you would need to set up a special needs trust (SNT) to hold the money. By setting up a SNT you may be able to keep your inheritance and still retain eligibility for SSI/Medi-Cal if the amount of the inheritance would otherwise put you over the statutory limit of $2,000 for individuals and $3,000 for couples.Money in a SNT, which is managed by a trustee rather than being managed by you, as the SSI Medi Cal recipient, and can be spent only for specific purposes so the government may not count that money as part of your resources.You should seek out a local attorney to set up the SNT before inheriting the money.I hope this clarifies. Please don’t forget to rate the question with stars so that I will receive credit and payment for assisting you with your question.
KLAW
KLAW, Lawyer
Hello. I found out that we are exempt due to MAGI-Medi-Cal and ACA guidelines.
Lump sums are exempt. We qualify by adjusted gross income only. There is no asset test.
KLAW
KLAW
KLAW, Lawyer