Ask a Lawyer and Get Answers to Your Legal Questions

If there was a Time Certificate of Deposit titled joint

ownership with the deceased and...
If there was a Time Certificate of Deposit titled joint ownership with the deceased and one of the heirs that was named in the will to share equally was not listed on the Time Certificate. Does this individual have any rights to the Time Certificate?
JA: Since estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: South Dakota
JA: What documents or supporting evidence do you have?
Customer: The Time Certificate of Deposit was written in my mom's name and one of my sisters and myself. Does the other sister, which wasn't name on the TCD have any right to these funds?
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: Not that it might make a difference but there was a Trust that was set up and it was shared equally between all three of the heirs. The one not named on the Time Certificate never saw her mother but only twice since September of 1998 and it was then reflected in this TCD.
11/9/2017
Loren, Attorney

Thank you for using JA. I am Loren, a licensed attorney for over 30 yrs., and I am here to help.

I am a certified expert on JustAnswer since 2009, with nearly 100% in 5 star ratings. So, we should be able to work through your problem.

I appreciate your patience as I review your question. I will post my response shortly.

This is general information and no attorney client relationship is established.

The site may ask you if you wish to speak by phone for an extra charge. Many find the phone call to be the easiest and fastest way to get the information they need without posting on a public forum. I am also happy to continue online.

There may be a slight delay in my replies as I am assisting other JA customers also. I will reply to your follow up questions.

WHILE WE ARE CHATTING DO NOT CLICK ON THE BUTTON TO REQUEST A SECOND OPINION. IT WILL LOCK ME OUT OF THE CHAT AND PREVENT ME FROM REPLYING TO YOU.

Property titled in joint tenancy is not part of the probate estate and the will would have no bearing on how it would pass. It automatically passes to the surviving joint tenant.

The other sister has no claim in the TCD.

If (and only if) you are completely satisfied that your question is answered, please remember to leave a favorable rating (click 5 stars in the rating section on this page). It is the only way that I am credited by JustAnswer for answering your question.

There is no additional charge to you for rating me favorably.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I received a fast and courteous response to my question. Even though I had an idea of what the answer was this lawyer gave me the answer I needed and it now considered as legal. Thanks
You are very welcome.
If you have no further questions, and have not yet done so, please remember to leave a favorable rating (click 5 stars in the rating section on this page). It is the only way that I am credited by JustAnswer for answering your question.
A bonus is not expected, but is always appreciated.
Thank you!
Loren, Attorney
Loren, Attorney