My ex girlfriend was a tenant since last May. She signed a…

Customer Question
My ex girlfriend was...

My ex girlfriend was a tenant since last May. She signed a lease and owes me over $8,000 from UNPAID rent and utilities. She also caused damage to my property and went to jail last December for getting physical with me. She was deported back to France the beginning of August. Her Harley Davidson and old Kia Sportage are still on my property and I've tried multiple times to reach her, but still haven't heard from her. Can I take legal possession of the property? If so, what forms do I need? How would I go about this? I have both pink slips. They are in her name. I live in California. Thank you.

Lawyer's Assistant: Because real estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

CA

Lawyer's Assistant: What are the terms of the lease? Any issues related to maintenance or upkeep?

No. She was drunk and threw chairs into wall and damaged linoleum floor in kitchen.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I don't know what else to tell you.

Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: Legal
11/9/2017
Lawyer: Barrister, Attorney replied 9 months ago
Barrister, Attorney

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney and will try my best to help with your situation. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I type out an answer or reply.

.

Can I take legal possession of the property?

.

No, you can't seize another person's personal property unless you have a legal judgment against them..

.

You would have to file a lawsuit against her, get a judgment, and then you could have the sheriff seize the vehicles and sell them at public auction and apply the proceeds to what she owes you for the judgment..

.

.

thanks