Ask a Lawyer and Get Answers to Your Legal Questions

Seeking a California criminal defense attorney. I know of a

HelloSeeking a California criminal defense...
HelloSeeking a California criminal defense attorney.I know of a young adult male going to arraignment in a few days for a DUI. He was released after booking on a Sheriff Pretrial Release Program, and he is currently on supervised OR, which he has failed his terms & conditions. He still wants to ask the court for an OR release but one that is not supervised. Can he merely speak up in court, or does he need to state he is currently representing himself pro se, for the time being, or is there any process for him asking for OR, or since he is not represented by an attorney, is he without recourse?In addition, the young man would like to request of the judge, during arraignment only, for me to be present as an advisor. Is that advisable?
Answered in 1 minute by:
11/8/2017
legalgems
legalgems, Lawyer

Hello! I will be reviewing your question and posting a response momentarily; if you have any follow up questions please respond here. Thanks!

A person is legally able to represent themselves as "in pro per" in a criminal case and can submit requests to the judge at arraignment;

however, a third party non attorney may not act as an advisor in a legal proceeding unless they are admitted to practice law in that state.

Please see:

http://www.courts.ca.gov/10214.htm

The unauthorized practice of law is prohibited per Business and Profession code 6125 and 6126 and can be prosecuted as a misdemeanor.

Further questions? Please post here to continue the chat.

Satisfied? Kindly rate positively so I receive credit for assisting you. I hope that you feel I have earned

5 stars 🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟*****

as I strive to provide my customers with great service. ☺️

(no additional charges are incurred).

Information provided is for educational purposes only. Consultation with a personal attorney is always recommended so your particular facts may be considered. The terms addressing this can be viewed here:

http://ww2.justanswer.com/terms-service-0#information

Thank you and take care.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Where requesting OR for himself, can he merely speak up in court, or does he need to state he is currently representing himself pro se, for the time being, or is there any process for him asking for OR, or since he is not represented by an attorney, is he without recourse?
As long as a defendant is not currently represented by an attorney the defendant may act as their own attorney. One would need to state they are in pro per and the judge will likely inquire as to whether they understand what it entails. They may also advise them of their ability to request a public defender.

Hello again; just checking in to see how things worked out;

If you have no further questions a positive rating is most appreciated (at no additional cost to you) and allows the site to credit my account for the time spent assisting you!

if you have further questions please don't hesitate to reach out to me here on Just Answerand I will do my best to get you the requested information.
Thanks!

The above information is for educational purposes only. A consultation with a private attorney is recommended so they can apply the law to your specific facts, and suggest the best course of action. An attorney can be located here:
http://www.americanbar.org/groups/public_education/public-information/how-do-i-find-a-lawyer-.html
Terms of service can be viewed here:

legalgems
legalgems, Lawyer
legalgems
legalgems
legalgems, Lawyer