My husband died and not sure he had a will. my step daughter…

Customer Question
My husband died and...

My husband died and not sure he had a will. my step daughter wants to evict me.

Lawyer's Assistant: Since estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Calif

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

I don't know. how would I find.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

About community property laws in calif

Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: Legal
11/7/2017
Lawyer: Legal Eagle, Lawyer replied 9 months ago
Legal Eagle, Lawyer

Hello! I am a licensed attorney, admitted to practice in state and federal court. I have a nearly 100% satisfaction rating (click here for more info) so all that means is that you can count on me to help today.

Please keep in mind that our conversation does not include an attorney-client relationship and this is for general information purposes only. What specific questions did you have? I have an idea about your situation, but I don’t want to make any assumptions.

If he didn't have will and the property was bought before we got married. I was not on the property only him and the daugjter.

Hi, thanks, ***** ***** respond to you momentarily...

I'm sorry to hear about your situation. Generally, if a person dies without a will in California, then their property will go to their spouse if it is was purchased during the marriage. If the property was purchased before the marriage, then the surviving spouse receives one-half of the separate property if the decedent had only one child, or issue of a deceased child. Therefore, you and her are co-owners, which means that she cannot evict you for any reason unless you agree to leave.

What other questions did you have for me?