Does a general power of attorney cover medical decisions and…

Customer Question
Does a general power...

Does a general power of attorney cover medical decisions and financial decisions?

Lawyer's Assistant: Can you tell me what state this is in? And just to clarify, what paperwork has been filed?

Kansas

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

No

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Legal
Answered in 1 hour by:
11/7/2017
Lawyer: Bill Attorney, Lawyer replied 6 months ago
Bill Attorney

Dear Customer ,

Thank You for posting your legal and probate question today. A general power of attorney can be one or both financial and medical and comes down tot he specific wording of the POA.

This will be stated on the document and can be durable or non-durable in duration.

This is set out in probate code:

"

58-654.General powers. (a) A principal may delegate to an attorney in fact in a power of attorney general powers to act in a fiduciary capacity on the principal's behalf with respect to all lawful subjects and purposes or with respect to one or more express subjects or purposes. A power of attorney with general powers may be durable or nondurable.

(b) If the power of attorney states that general powers are granted to the attorney in fact and further states in substance that it grants power to the attorney in fact to act with respect to all lawful subjects and purposes or that it grants general powers for general purposes or does not by its terms limit the power to the specific subject or purposes set out in the instrument, then the authority of the attorney in fact acting under the power of attorney shall extend to and include each and every action or power which an adult who is not disabled may carry out through an agent specifically authorized in the premises, with respect to any and all matters whatsoever, except as provided in subsection (f) and (g). When a power of attorney grants general powers to an attorney in fact to act with respect to all lawful subjects and purposes, the enumeration of one or more specific subjects or purposes does not limit the general authority granted by that power of attorney, unless otherwise provided in the power of attorney. An attorney in fact vested with general powers shall be authorized to execute a power of attorney required by any governmental agency or other legal entity on behalf of the principal, naming such attorney in fact as the attorney in fact authorized to enter into any transaction with such agency or legal entity.

(c) If the power of attorney states that general powers are granted to an attorney in fact with respect to one or more express subjects or purposes for which general powers are conferred, then the authority of the attorney in fact acting under the power of attorney shall extend to and include each and every action or power, but only with respect to the specific subjects or purposes expressed in the power of attorney that an adult who is not disabled may carry out through an agent specifically authorized in the premises, with respect to any and all matters whatsoever, except as provided in subsection (f) and (g).

(d) Except as provided in subsections (f) and (g), an attorney in fact with general powers has, with respect to the subjects or purposes for which the powers are conferred, all rights, power and authority to act for the principal that the principal would have with respect to the principal's own person or property, including property owned jointly or by the entireties with another or others, as an adult who is not disabled. Without limiting the foregoing an attorney in fact with general powers has, with respect to the subject or purposes of the power, complete discretion to make a decision for the principal, to act or not act, to consent or not consent to, or withdraw consent for, any act, and to execute and deliver or accept any deed, bill of sale, bill of lading, assignment, contract, note, security instrument, consent, receipt, release, proof of claim, petition or other pleading, tax document, notice, application, acknowledgment or other document necessary or convenient to implement or confirm any act, transaction or decision. An attorney in fact with general powers, whether power to act with respect to all lawful subjects and purposes, or only with respect to one or more express subjects or purposes, shall have the power, unless specifically denied by the terms of the power of attorney, to make, execute and deliver to or for the benefit of or at the request of a third person, who is requested to rely upon an action of the attorney in fact, an agreement indemnifying and holding harmless any third person or persons from any liability, claims or expenses, including legal expenses, incurred by any such third person by reason of acting or refraining from acting pursuant to the request of the attorney in fact. Such indemnity agreement shall be binding upon the principal who has executed such power of attorney and upon the principal's successor or successors in interest. No such indemnity agreement shall protect any third person from any liability, claims or expenses incurred by reason of the fact that, and to the extent that, the third person has honored the power of attorney for actions outside the scope of authority granted by the power of attorney. In addition, the attorney in fact has complete discretion to employ and compensate real estate agents, brokers, attorneys, accountants and subagents of all types to represent and act for the principal in any and all matters, including tax matters involving the United States government or any other government or taxing entity, including, but not limited to, the execution of supplemental or additional powers of attorney in the name of the principal in form that may be required or preferred by any such taxing entity or other third person, and to deal with any or all third persons in the name of the principal without limitation. No such supplemental or additional power of attorney shall broaden the scope of authority granted to the attorney in fact in the original power of attorney executed by the principal."

A well thought out POA will include all those events medical and financial.

If you would like your POA reviewed please let me know.

I'm an independent legal expert and rely on your positive feedback today to get a credit.

You do this by rating 5*****, 4**** or better.

SO I hope you rate FIVE STARS today before your exit.

Thank You

Attorney Bill

Dear Customer ,

You posted a question a few days ago and I would like to follow up with you today on that question. DO you require any further information ?

I'm an independent legal expert and rely on your positive feedback today to get a credit for answering your question.

In order for me to get a credit you need to rate either 5*****, 4**** or ACCEPT

SO I hope you leave a FIVE STAR rating today.

Thank You and until next time

Attorney Bill

Bill Attorney
Bill Attorney
Bill Attorney, Lawyer