I WAS DISMISS FROM WORK ON FRIDAY WITH REALLY NO

Customer Question
GOOD EVENING. I WAS...

GOOD EVENING. I WAS DISMISS FROM WORK ON FRIDAY WITH REALLY NO EXPLANATION. I WAS CALLED IN ON THURSDAY NIGHT AND QUESTIONED ABOUT A CAR THAT WAS STOLE OF THE LOT OF THE DEARLERSHIP ON MY DAY OFF. (IM A CAR SALESMAN). I WAS QUESTIONED CAUSE I WAS THE LAST SALESMAN THAT SHOWED THE CAR TO ANYONE ON WEDNESDAY. I DIDNT RECOGNIZED ANYONE ON THE VIDEO BUT I FELT LIKE THEY WERE ASSUMING I HAD SOMETHING TO DO WITH IT. WELL I WENT HOME THAT EVENING AND THE NEXT DAY EARLY AM I WAS DISMISSED WITH NO REASON.WAS NOT ALLOWED TO ASK WHY. AFTER 18 YEARS WITH THE COMPANY. IVE BEEN LOOKING FOR WORK JUST TO FIND OUT TODAY THAT MY FORMER EMPLOYER HAS GIVEN NOTICE TO ALL CAR DEALERSHIPS IN MY AREA THAT I HAD SOMETHING TO DO WITH THE STOLE CAR WITH NO PROOF FALSE ACCUSATIONS AND MESSING UP MY CHANCE TO FIND ANOTHER JOB. IS THIS DEFAMATION OF CHARACTER?

Lawyer's Assistant: What state is this in? And how old is the car?

HOUSTON TEXAS IT WAS A 2015

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

MY FORMER MANAGER CALLED ME TODAY TO HELP ME FIND ANOTHER JOB AND HE TOLD THE CAR WAS FOUND WITH NO DAMAGES

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I FEEL DISCRIMATED AS WELL

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Legal
11/7/2017
Lawyer: Barrister, Attorney replied 7 months ago
Barrister, Attorney

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney and will try my best to help with your situation. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I type out an answer or reply.

.

IS THIS DEFAMATION OF CHARACTER?

.

I would opine yes.

.

If the comments he is making are untrue and are harming your reputation, you may have an action for slander and defamation. Defamation is considered any intentional false communication, either written or spoken, that harms a person's reputation; decreases the respect, regard, or confidence in which a person is held; or induces disparaging, hostile, or disagreeable opinions or feelings against a person.

.

For a cause of action for slander/libel you would have to prove damages and the following elements:

.

a defamatory statement;

published to third parties; and

which the speaker or publisher knew or should have known was false.

.

Additionally, if the person is engaging in this type behavior simply to annoy and disturb you, you could file criminal and civil charges for harassment.

.

The Modern Penal Code section 250.4(MPC) defines harassment as a petty misdemeanor if with purpose is to harass another, he: 1) makes a phone call without a legitimate purpose; or 2) insults, taunts or challenges another in a manner likely to provoke violent or disorderly response; or 3) calls at inconvenient hours or in offensive language; or 4) subjects another to offensive touching; or 5) engages in any other course of alarming conduct serving no legitimate purpose of the actor.

.

Under the United States Code Title 18 Subsection 1514(c)1. Harassment is defined as "a course of conduct directed at a specific person that causes substantial emotional distress in such a person and serves no legitimate purpose".

.

Put simply, anything that people do for no good reason or lawful reason or purpose and they know it distresses you is harassment.

.

You could file a civil harassment suit against the person and be awarded monetary damages and injunctive action if you can show proof he is harassing you with his actions. A judge would likely issue a restraining order against the person for no communications to be directed towards you.

.

.

thanks

what type of lawyer should I be looking for? should I inform the department of labor?

A general civil litigation attorney or even a personal injury attorney should be able to handle this. As for DOL, this is a civil action, and the DOL wouldn't get involved in something like this.

.

And try to get some proof from other dealers that the former employer is making these claims.. Get names and write down who you talked to and when you talked to them while this is still fresh in your memory.

.

.

thanks

Hello again,

.

I just wanted to touch base with you and check in.

.

Did you have any further questions I can help with?

.

.

Thanks much