If I allow a 66 year old disabled brother in Milwaukee,

Customer Question
If I allow a...

If I allow a 66 year old disabled brother in Milwaukee, Wisconsin to use my West Bend, Wisconsin mailing address so his bills can come here, can I be held liable for large bills from a hospital, nursing home, etc. if my brother does not have enough money to give me a check to pay them. Also, can any organization haras me because mybrother does not have the money to pay a bill and I don't pay it with my own money?

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a WI lawyer about this?

No, my brother is just asking me for the favor and I don't know how to respond.

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken so far?

None. I am afraid of what might happen.

Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: Legal
11/7/2017
Lawyer: Olivia Kent, Attorney replied 9 months ago
Olivia Kent
Olivia Kent, Attorney

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. My name is ***** ***** I'm an attorney. Please note this site is general information for educational purposes only and doesn’t constitute not legal advice. You might be offered a phone call, but you are under no obligation to accept; the phone call requests don’t come from me - they’re offered by the website - but if you do want a phone call I’d be happy to do that as well. I'll be happy to help you in any way I can.

ANSWER: The answer to both of your questions is NO. No, you can't be held liable for his bills just because they come to your address and no, it's actually illegal for an organization to which he owes money to harass you (and, for that matter, him). That being said, if they have your address and phone number, they will call you - because that's frequently what they do. But with the creation of the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act, debt collectors are much less aggressive with their actions. I hope that answers your question. If you don't need any additional information, could you please take a moment to check the box stating that I answered your question so that I receive credit for working with you. It doesn't cost you anything extra and it allows me to get credit for helping you. Sometimes people aren't aware that experts don't get any credit for the time and effort that we spend on our answers unless you rate it positively (3 or more stars). If you have follow up questions I'd be happy to answer them as well. You CAN still ask follow up questions after rating. There may be a lag between your question and my answer; this is because I'm either not at my computer or helping someone else but I assure you I will ALWAYS come back and answer your questions.