Ask a Lawyer and Get Answers to Your Legal Questions

My wife has passed away and the health insurance wants me…

My wife has passed...

My wife has passed away and the health insurance wants me her husband to pay for the bill, she had her own medical insurance - Medicare w/Blue Cross Blue Shield supplement, I have HealthPartners insurance. She payed her medical premiums and I payed mine. Am I liable for her bill.

Lawyer's Assistant: Estate laws vary by state. What state are you in?

Minnesota

Lawyer's Assistant: What documents or supporting evidence do you have?

Don't understand, documents and evidence for what?

11/6/2017
Legal Eagle, Lawyer

Hello! I am a licensed attorney, admitted to practice in state and federal court. I have a nearly 100% satisfaction rating (click here for more info) so all that means is that you can count on me to help today. Because I want to provide you with the most accurate answer possible, do you mind if I take a moment to review your question?

Please keep in mind that our conversation does not include an attorney-client relationship and this is for general information purposes only.

Thanks so much for your patience. Generally, unless you made a guarantee in writing to pay for your wife's bills, then you cannot be held responsible for those remaining dollars left to be paid. They may try to trick you into thinking that is the case, but the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act prohibits this kind of action.

Under the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act at section 1692(e), it is unlawful for a debt collector to say that you owe a balance when you do not. In the future, you may want to consider just writing a cease and desist letter (click here) for all collection attempts under the FDCPA. Lawyers use letters like these on the regular basis to enforce their client’s rights. There’s a site that I’ve used in the past where you can find a good template for a demand letter (click here). It only costs $10 and it is way cheaper than litigation. If they continue, then you should file a complaint with the FTC regarding their action.

Also, although I provided an initial answer, it’s important that you are 100% satisfied. If you feel I have done so, please rate me 5 stars and let me know if you have any follow up questions. As a side note, you can also click here in the future to request me individually.

Legal Eagle, Lawyer
Legal Eagle, Lawyer