In a US District Court complaint what is common for a

plaintiff and defendant counsel. Does...
In a US District Court complaint what is common for a plaintiff and defendant counsel. Does the plaintiff and defendant counsel set up the case managment plan before or after the defendants counsel answer the complaint. I am afraid of being swamped after I receive thier answer to my complaint.
11/3/2017
DamienJD
DamienJD, Attorney

Hello: My name is ***** ***** I am an attorney. Please give me a moment to review your question. I may ask some questions to clarify issues.

Ok

What district court is this? Where is it located?

Southern district of NY

Yes. It is after service of an answer (or when the defendant appears in the case). Below is what the court says in layman's terms. If you need further help, just let me know.

The Initial Case Management Conference (Rule 16)

• The initial case management conference often is the first opportunity for you and opposing counsel to meet with the judge and briefly describe the nature of your claims and the defendant’s defenses. The judge will discuss discovery and the parties’ discovery plan (if there is one), and whether the case can be settled at an early date.

• Opposing counsel may contact you to discuss a plan for discovery. This is because, except in certain types of cases (for example, where the plaintiff is incarcerated and does not have an attorney), Federal Rule of Civil Procedure 26(f) requires that you and the other parties to your case hold a conference to make a plan for discovery.

• This conference, which may be by telephone, must be held as soon as possible, but at least 21 days before the court is to hold an initial case management conference or a scheduling order is due. See Fed. R. Civ. P. 16. United States District Court, S.D.N.Y. Discovery Page 5

• After the parties have their discovery conference, they must submit an outline of their proposed discovery plan to the court.

• At the initial case management conference, the parties and the judge will discuss a plan for discovery. At or after the conference, the judge will likely enter a scheduling order setting deadlines for amendment of the pleadings, motions, and the completion of discovery.

DamienJD
DamienJD, Attorney
Excellent answer, if I wish to call you in the near future how may I contact you.
Thank You

You are welcome. You can always put my name at the beginning of your question and I will see it to answer it. Best regards.