Ask a Lawyer and Get Answers to Your Legal Questions

My husbands life insurance policy was canceled from FARMERS

Customer Question
Insurance after 20 to...
My husbands life insurance policy was canceled from FARMERS Insurance after 20 to 25 years paying for. Have copy from Farmers but do not understand. Would like my money for the time I had put into the policy.
JA: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: California
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: Need cancellation of Life Insurance policy for my husband's. Been payng over 20 years do not understand. Live in California
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Legal
Answered in 1 minute by:
11/2/2017
Lawyer: INFOLAWYER, Attorney replied 1 month ago
INFOLAWYER, Attorney
Why was it cancelled? what can I answer for you?
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I havent got an answer so I don't want to pay for a phone call. This is not helping me
If policy wrongly cancelled one may pursue a claim for breach of contract and unjust enrichment.You want to prepare your case by creating a time line starting from the earliest event. For each event, write down key details and witnesses and if there is a document that relates to it, save it and refer to it. This timeline can be very valuable in narrating your case and presenting it later in a concrete and specific way.You have a few options. Let me outline them. You can pursue a complaint in civil court. You may sue for losses suffered plus costs and interest. You can also file a complaint with the attorney general office. You can threaten these options before pursuing and use for leverage. local counsel can also get involved! A lawyer letter alone can often bring about a settlement as the other side realizes that you are serious and gets concerned about its risk and legal fees.If you sue in court you may end up with a judgment. The judgment generally allows you to levy on bank accounts, lien real estate and work with the sheriff office civil enforcement division. Many lawsuits result in settlement - which expect the judge to encourage.You stand to recover not only your actual losses (compensatory damages) but also interest, costs and legal fees. on occasion special damages (punitive damages) are also available.By being prepared and pressing your claim, the other side should feel the pressure and consider the risk of losing and legal fees. That realization can help bring about a settlement!Please let me know if the reply is acceptable by responding “yes” or “acceptable”
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I don;t know why that's why I need someone to explain it to me. One of Farmers agents talked to me but I still did not understand. It doesn't make since to me. Kathy

If insurer cannot justify the lack of coverage by pointing to circumstances showing policy is excluding and that insured received notice, then you have a strong case for coverage on contract theory as well as unjust enrichment, since it is patently unfair to disclaim coverage under such circumstances where premiums paid annually.

Tina, Lawyer