I served a person with a subpoena and they failed to show.

Customer Question
Second opinion] I served...

Second opinion] I served a person with a subpoena and they failed to show. What happens to them now?

Lawyer's Assistant: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state the subpoena was issued in?

New Mexico,***** civil

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

Yes

Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: Legal
11/3/2017
Lawyer: Amadeo Rivera,
 replied 9 months ago
Amadeo Rivera

My name is Marcelo. I have been practicing for 17 years. Was the subpoena issued to attend a court hearing, or some other event, such as a deposition? Assuming the subpoena was properly issued and served, then if for a court hearing, you should be able to ask the judge to "attach" that person and a sheriff's deputy can go pick that person up and bring him/her to court. If it was issued for some other event, such as deposition, then you should be able to set a hearing with the judge and have that person explain why he/she did not comply with the subpoena. The judge would have wide latitude in deciding how to handle such a situation.

I hope I have answered your question. If you require additional information, please let me know. If I have answered you, then please provide positive feedback so I can receive compensation. Thank you.