Need definition of realestate term: adverse possession.

Need definition of realestate...

Need definition of realestate term: adverse possession

Lawyer's Assistant: Because real estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Minnesota

Lawyer's Assistant: Has any paperwork been filed?

Yes , a recent certified survey of the land. I claim a 75 year old fence line would be a final survey.

11/2/2017
Legal Eagle, Lawyer

Hello! I am a licensed attorney, admitted to practice in state and federal court. I have a nearly 100% satisfaction rating (click here for more info) so all that means is that you can count on me to help today. Because I want to provide you with the most accurate answer possible, do you mind if I take a moment to review your question?

Please keep in mind that our conversation does not include an attorney-client relationship and this is for general information purposes only.

Thanks for your patience. Here is something that you can use as your definition:

Under Minnesota law, a person seeking to prove up a claim of Adverse Possession of another’s property must show he or she had actual, open, hostile, continuous, and exclusive possession of the land in question for at least 15 years. (MN Statutes Sections 541.02, 15.) This basically means that the person must have actually possessed the land, openly possessed the land (not in secret), hostily possessed the land (without permission of the real owner), and exclusively possessed the land (meaning that they did not share it with anyone else)

Also, although I provided an initial answer, it’s important that you are 100% satisfied. If you feel I have done so, please rate me 5 stars and let me know if you have any follow up questions. As a side note, you can also click here in the future to request me individually.

Legal Eagle, Lawyer