Ask a Lawyer and Get Answers to Your Legal Questions

My son is an employee of a Massachusetts multi-billion $

company. He is a...
My son is an employee of a Massachusetts multi-billion $ company. He is a favored employee and has survived 3 layoffs. However he has been there 4 years and has not been able to advance because of the LARGE company policies and the lay-offs. He wants to go to his boss, have the discussion that it is not working for him from a career perspective and tell him he is looking for a job. Why? because this will give the employer options to respond. 1. We really don't want to lose you etc.. and they find a career path. 2. Well the company is not as profitable and there is nothing I can do. The reason for threatening for lack of a better word without threatening is that you get better information, and perhaps put a flame up their ass so to speak. can he get fired for saying he wants to look for another job? he is an employee at will, and not part of any Union.
JA: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: Massachusetts
JA: Is the employment agreement "at will," union, full time or part time?
Customer: At will I'm sure - the Company is Bose Corporation so it is not a fly by night Company.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Answered in 1 minute by:
11/2/2017
Damien Bosco
Damien Bosco, Attorney

Hello: My name is ***** ***** I am an attorney. Please give me a moment to review your question. I may ask some questions to clarify issues.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
ok

Has he ever asked for a raise? If so, what has been the company's response? Do they give him evaluations?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
The give annual raises that are big Company guidelines, the Company is Bose Corporation so there are many policies. He has nothing buy excellent performace reviews, and has less tenure than previous people who were released in lay offs
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
basically he is a valued employee, but stagnated in the big Company that is hindering his career growth
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
you still there?

Thanks for the clarification. Legally, as an at-will employee, he can be let go anytime and he can resign anytime (I presume there is no written employment contract). So, it is more of a strategy to ask for an advancement. Generally, asking for a raise would not give a boss or company reason to let someone go. Telling someone you are going to quit if you don't get a raise could work sometimes if the employee is likable and valuable but it does have a little negativity in it. In any event, it usually is not enough to have an employer fire him. We can discuss.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
He will be asking for some career advancement, not a raise actually. the conversation I think goes something like this. Gee boss, I've been here 4 years and done a good job, but because of the state of the Company think my career is stagnated. I know the Company has had lay-offs and is a flat organization I would like to start looking for another job. I'm telling you because we have a 4 year relashionship and I want to prvide a very smooth transition. can he say well if you are looking for a job you're fired.

Legally, yes. The boss can say because you are looking for another job, you are fired. Will it happen? Probably not. You son should know his boss well enough to know how blunt your son can be. We can continue to discuss.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Can they deny unemployment?

The employer would have to say that your son was insubordinate. If it does, then he could be denied unemployment insurance. Your son could always challenge it and the Unemployment Office could investigate. We can continue to discuss.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Awesome - that is great because it is not insubordinate to say I am not happy here, I doubt they Bose Corporation will do somethng like that, and his boss is basically a pretty nice guy.Thanks

You are welcome. Glad I was able to help.

Damien Bosco
Damien Bosco, Attorney
Damien Bosco
Damien Bosco
Damien Bosco, Attorney