Ask a Lawyer and Get Answers to Your Legal Questions

There is an Employee Code of Conduct for all public

employees at a university. Additional...
There is an Employee Code of Conduct for all public employees at a university. Additional code or rules usually exist for specific categories of employees, such as supervisors. An example of such rule is: respect for the personal and academic integrity of the student.
My question is whether there exists such additional code or rules for lawyers and legal consultants working as permanent employees at the university. Can they be complained against for unethical behaviour and to whom?
Answered in 1 hour by:
11/1/2017
TJ, Esq.
TJ, Esq., Attorney

Hello and thank you for the opportunity to assist you. My name is ***** ***** I will do my very best to answer your legal questions.

You would have to review the employee code of conduct for the university in order to determine if there are any special rules for lawyers and legal consultants. You didn't mention what university you're referring to, and every university may be different. There is no all encompassing employee code of conduct that pertains to all universities. However, even if you mentioned the specific university that you are referring to, I still would not be able to answer that specific question because I wouldn't have access to that university's employee code of conduct.

Having said that, any lawyer in your state would have to adhere to the rules of professional conduct (which are nearly identical in all states). While the rules do not have vague requirements such as "respect for others," it does create a mechanism for somebody to complain about an attorney's integrity and ethics.

Does that answer your question(s)? Please let me know if you need clarification, as I am happy to continue helping you until you are satisfied. Also, please remember to provide a positive rating via the stars (and note that your positive rating is the only way that I'll get credit for helping you, so it is much appreciated!). Thank you. :)

Pedagogical Esq.

Hello! One way (perhaps the best way and certainly the paradigmatic way) to report an attorney for misconduct is to report him or her to the appropriate state bar. The state bars are the primary overseers of attorneys.

As to whether, as an internal matter, an attorney at the referenced university might be formally reported for misconduct, that would generally be discoverable by referring to the governing and policy documents of the school. However, if there is a mechanism for reporting other employees, I would be surprised to find that there was no such mechanism for lawyers.

I am unaware of any law (with some exceptions) prohibiting an employer of an attorney from appropriately disciplining the attorney as an employee. Is that the crux of your question?

I want to stress the importance of the state bars. They are the ultimate regulators of attorneys, and they exclusively hand out discipline such as disbarment and suspension.

Moreover, the primary rules governing attorneys are the rules of professional responsibility in each state. The Model Rules of Professional Conduct are non-binding but representative of such rules. Here is a link: https://www.americanbar.org/groups/professional_responsibility/publications/model_rules_of_professional_conduct/model_rules_of_professional_conduct_table_of_contents.html

Did I help? Please send me a follow up so we can get this ironed out for you. In your response, please include the state in which the school sits. Thank you!

Pedagogical Esq.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thank you for your prompt reply. Very good input.
I would like to keep our discussion on a general plan, like a brainstorm. I will adjust to the concrete situation myself.
In this case, there are no special rules for legal consultants in the all encompassing employee code of conduct. As they are permanent employees they of course need to obey these rules. However, to report a legal consultant based on these rules cannot be satisfactory because the alleged misconduct (and its consequences) is far more serious and damaging precisely because they are knowledgeable in the law and can act from a position of power.
The Code of Professional Ethics of the lawyers would be a good start, and I can already envisage breach of several such rules. My question is whether these rules apply to all people who graduated law or only to practicing lawyers.
Pedagogical Esq.
Pedagogical Esq.
Pedagogical Esq., Lawyer