We have made a personal loan to an individual and they used…

We have made a...

We have made a personal loan to an individual and they used a vehicle as collateral and have defaulted on the terms of the loan. Do we need to do anything to notify them that we are selling the vehicle to repay the debt? All parties are in California.

Lawyer's Assistant: What state is this in? And when did the issue begin?

Loan was made on/ about May 1st, again all parties are in CA

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been officially filed? If so, what?

No

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

We were given a signed pink slip along with a few cases of alcohol to secure a $1,500.00 loan with the agreement of weekly payments of $900.00 to repay the agreed total of $2,100.00 Payments have been defaulted.

Answered in 1 minute by:
10/31/2017
Legal Eagle, Lawyer

Hello! I am a CA licensed attorney, admitted to practice in state and federal court. I have a nearly 100% satisfaction rating (click here for more info) so all that means is that you can count on me to help today. Because I want to provide you with the most accurate answer possible, do you mind if I take a moment to review your question?

Please keep in mind that our conversation does not include an attorney-client relationship and this is for general information purposes only.

looking forward to your response.

My goodness, I apologize for the delay. I had a phone call take up more time than usual. Gneerally,

This appears to be a classic breach of contract because they have failed to abide by the terms of your loan. A breach of contract just simply means that one party was obligated to perform and they have either have not performed or have said that they will not perform. Typically, the aggrieved party is entitled to be returned to the same position they were in before the breach. I also know of something that can help you with this situation. If you click here, you can request an attorney-prepared breach of contract letter for a flat fee (usually around $250). Turnaround time is less than 48 hours. Take a look at the link and fill out the contact form if you’re interested. If you want to repossess the vehicle, you don't need to do anything. Cal Penal Code section 415 allows you to repossess a vehicle upon which you have a lien without prior notice.

Also, although I provided an initial answer, it’s important that you are 100% satisfied. If you feel I have done so, please rate me 5 stars and let me know if you have any follow up questions. As a side note, you can also click here in the future to request me individually.

can we just sell the vehicle? The pink slip is in our name already and we have the vehicle. Do ween need the breech of contract letter? And the original loan amount was for $15,000.00, I apologize for the typo.

1. Yes, you can sell the vehicle if you have title and he has defaulted on the agreement. You can charge him the difference between the sale price and what is owed.

2. You don't need a breach of contract letter, but sometimes it helps to lessen confusion.

3. No problem on the typo:-).

Any other questions?

Thank you so much! we will check out the link now and contact you if we have any further questions.

The pleasure is all mine! Further up on the screen you should see a chance to give me a rating. 5-stars are always appreciated, but it is definitely not required! You can also click here in the future to request me individually. Don’t forget, if you haven’t already, you can always sign up for a membership with Just Answer and start asking more questions on the cheap.

Legal Eagle, Lawyer