I was granted a public defender and I was supposed to call…

Hi I was granted...

Hi I was granted a public defender and I was supposed to call after 1pm today to get in contact with who my attorney would be for my hearing tomorrow. I had called too late and they’re closed now.

Lawyer's Assistant: In what state did this occur?

PA

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

No I was supposed to call today

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Not that I’m aware.

10/30/2017
Legal Eagle, Lawyer

Hello! I am a licensed attorney, admitted to practice in state and federal court. I have a nearly 100% satisfaction rating (click here for more info) so all that means is that you can count on me to help today.

Please keep in mind that our conversation does not include an attorney-client relationship and this is for general information purposes only. What specific questions did you have? I have an idea about your situation, but I don’t want to make any assumptions.

Hello. So I had been at work all morning and the person who had granted me the public attorney and just told me to call after 1. I called at 5:01 and I was too late. What can I do to make sure I can still get a public attorney for my court hearing tomorrow?

Thanks for writing back. Generally, you won't have to appear in front of a judge without a public defender. What is likely to happen is the PD will meet with you just before the hearing. If they do not, you can request with the judge that they postpone the hearing until you can secure representation by the state. Under the 6th Amendment of the U.S. Constitution, you are allowed representation almost all court hearings.

Also, although I provided an initial answer, it’s important that you are 100% satisfied. If you feel I have done so, please rate me 5 stars and let me know if you have any follow up questions. As a side note, you can also click here in the future to request me individually.

This is the second preliminary hearing. I hadn’t gotten an attorney for the first. Would the attorney still represent me even though I didn’t call?

For the prelim, you usually aren't entitled to an attorney. For this prelim, what's the purpose, do you know?

The attorney could get the charges dropped for me. I hadn’t been charged with anything in the past and I want the charges esxpunged as soon as possible

I see what you mean. You should be allowed an attorney there, but be sure not to make any decisions without first requesting that an attorney be present if one does not show up.

Thank you for answering my questions. I definitely feel a bit better going in tomorrow.

The pleasure is all mine! Further up on the screen you should see a chance to give me a rating. 5-stars are always appreciated, but it is definitely not required! You can also click here in the future to request me individually. Don’t forget, if you haven’t already, you can always sign up for a membership with Just Answer and start asking more questions on the cheap.

Legal Eagle, Lawyer
Legal Eagle, Lawyer