Ask a Lawyer and Get Answers to Your Legal Questions

I bought a car and wrote on the wrong line on the title. The

Customer Question
I bought a car and...
I bought a car and wrote on the wrong line on the title. The DMV will not allow me to register the car now. I cannot contact the seller. Am I screwed?
JA: Regulations vary from place to place, so can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: NY
JA: Do you need to appear in court?
Customer: Not yet
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No
Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Legal
10/29/2017
Lawyer: TJ, Esq., Attorney replied 1 month ago
TJ, Esq.
TJ, Esq., Attorney

Hello and thank you for the opportunity to assist you. My name is ***** ***** I will do my very best to answer your legal questions.

It just wouldn't make sense that what is essentially just a typo on the title could mean that you have an unregisterable car if the seller is nowhere to be found. I would ask for a supervisor and escalate the issue. At worst, it should be treated as a lost title (i.e., if the title that you have is no good because of the mistake, then you should be able to apply for a new title just as if the title were lost). So I would ask about that.

Unfortunately, if the DMV will not resolve the issue, and you cannot find the seller to help resolve the issue, then you'll need to file a petition in court for an order that directs the DMV to issue you a title. In the court proceeding, you will need to prove that the seller intended to transfer the title to you. It would be very helpful if you have a sales contract and proof of payment (i.e., cancelled check). With that evidence, and the title with the error, it is likely that the court will grant such an order. But hopefully it won't come to that, and the DMV supervisor will be able to help you fix it without going to court.

Does that answer your question(s)? Please let me know if you need clarification, as I am happy to continue helping you until you are satisfied. Also, please remember to provide a positive rating via the stars (and note that your positive rating is the only way that I'll get credit for helping you, so it is much appreciated!). Thank you. :)

Hello again. I didn't hear back from you, and you haven't yet rated me, so I'm just checking in to make sure that you don't need more help on this issue.

TJ, Esq.
TJ, Esq.
TJ, Esq., Attorney