Ask a Lawyer and Get Answers to Your Legal Questions

I received an interrogatory for a terminated employee. The

interrogatory does not request a...
I received an interrogatory for a terminated employee. The interrogatory does not request a termination date however the attorney called to ask for the date of termination. Do I release the information? or no because the interrogatory doesn't request it?
Answered in 1 minute by:
10/27/2017
Legal Eagle, Lawyer

Hello! I am a licensed attorney, admitted to practice in state and federal court. I have a nearly 100% satisfaction rating (click here for more info) so all that means is that you can count on me to help today. Because I want to provide you with the most accurate answer possible, do you mind if I take a moment to review your question?

Please keep in mind that our conversation does not include an attorney-client relationship and this is for general information purposes only.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
of course

Thanks for your patience. Generally, under the IL rules of civil procedure, the answering party to an interrogatory must either answer or object to each interrogatory and serve answers or objections upon the party propounding them, with proof of service on all other parties entitled to notice. Ill. S. Ct. R. 213(d). IL law generally does not require that the interrogatories be written, but they do have laws that govern written interrogatories. Thus, it is proper for them to ask, but because the information being served orally could easily be misconstrued, my strongest recommendation is to decline to answer the interrogatory over the phone. Accordingly, I would request that the other attorney serve an updated written interrogatory so you can respond in writing and everything is on the record.

Also, although I provided an initial answer, it’s important that you are 100% satisfied. If you feel I have done so, please rate me 5 stars and let me know if you have any follow up questions. As a side note, you can also click here in the future to request me individually.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
thank you

The pleasure is all mine! Further up on the screen you should see a chance to give me a rating. 5-stars are always appreciated, but it is definitely not required! You can also click here in the future to request me individually. Don’t forget, if you haven’t already, you can always sign up for a membership with Just Answer and start asking more questions on the cheap.

Legal Eagle, Lawyer
Legal Eagle, Lawyer