We have a state contract to provide medical transportation…

We have a state...

We have a state contract to provide medical transportation for medicare patients, a candidate applied for a supervisor role in our call center who is on the sexual assualt registry list, can we deny him employment?

Lawyer's Assistant: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Connecticut

Lawyer's Assistant: Is the employment agreement "at will," union, full time or part time?

Yes at will and no union full time

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Our concern is he will have access to private medicare patient data and if there is any hippa laws around it

10/27/2017
Legal Eagle, Lawyer

Hello! I am a licensed attorney, admitted to practice in state and federal court. I have a nearly 100% satisfaction rating (click here for more info) so all that means is that you can count on me to help today. Because I want to provide you with the most accurate answer possible, do you mind if I take a moment to review your question?

Please keep in mind that our conversation does not include an attorney-client relationship and this is for general information purposes only.

sure that would be great

Great thanks! Just a moment…

great, thanks

Thanks so much for your patience. Generally, the state of CT has a "ban the box rule" meaning that employers may inquire into an applicant’s criminal background when required under state or federal law, or when the job requires a security or fidelity bond or equivalent bond. Basically, this means that you aren't able to inquire about their history until you offer them a job. In this case, if you offered them a job already, have conducted a background check, and found that they are a sex offender, then you will not be in violation of the Fair Chance Employment Act and can terminate the person. Additionally, you may also be able to terminate the employment in part because CT is an at-will state, meaning you can terminate anyone at anytime. What other questions did you have for me?

Legal Eagle, Lawyer