Someone signed documents with my name at DMV and there is a…

Someone signed documents with...

Someone signed documents with my name at DMV and there is a large bill for not having insurance as well as an accident. I don't know where to begin to find a lawyer to clear my name and hold the right person accountable

Lawyer's Assistant: Regulations vary from place to place, so can you tell me what state this is in?

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

Just at Motor Vehicle administration

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

No other than I do know the persons name responsible but the moved out of state

Answered in 1 hour by:
10/27/2017
Zoey, JD
Zoey, JD, Attorney

I'm Zoey.

I've reviewed your post. Did you have insurance at the date of the accident? Was there a criminal case associated with the incident? Have you reported this to the authorities?

The person didn't have insurance. I only signed the title then said I can't put the car in my name she fraudulently signed documents to get the car registered. I have all the documents from MVA and it's clear it's not my signature. I spoke with a supervisor at MVA and they were not helpful. No I haven't reported it, really was unsure of how this would be settled. There's no criminal case but there is a large insurance lapse bill, the car was impounded and never retrieved and a bill for the accident. The individual up and moved to another state

The DMV is not going to be helpful to you under circumstances like this. That's not their job.

You would need to report this person to the authorities to try to get her charged for her fraud/identity theft. If the police were not interested in this as a crime, you could sue her in civil court for her fraud and for the damages she's caused you by using your name. Even though she has moved out of state, she can still be charged and/or sued. If you can't find her, a private investigator likely could.

To find a Maryland lawyer who could help sort this out for you, you could contact the Maryland State Bar Association's Lawyer Referral Service. They charge a fee of about $50 for the referral which includes a free half hour consultation with the attorney. There are also commercial lawyer referral services, if you want a larger selection of choices. One that has been around for a while and is highly regarded is www.Martindale.com Many of their lawyers are peer and client-rated to help you narrow down the field.

You would be looking for a civil litigator (trial lawyer) in general practice with criminal as well as civil law experience.

Thank you so so much!

You're very welcome!

I strive for 5-star service. If I have addressed all of your concerns, please take the time to rate my service to you by selecting 3, 4, or (hopefully) 5 stars on the rating scale, as that is the only way that JustAnswer gives us Experts credit for our work. You would still be able to post further follow-ups on this question thread about this for no additional cost, even after I've been rated.

Good luck!

Zoey, JD
Zoey, JD, Attorney
Will do and I will reach out if I need more info! You have been the most helpful out of every single person I have called and asked! Definitely 5 stars!