I am working on getting Humanitarian Parole for my two aunts…

Customer Question
I am working on...

I am working on getting Humanitarian Parole for my two aunts who are in Mexico. I am working on getting medical records and a medical letter from the physician from the doctor to send to my family in Mexico. Those will come in today. What else do I need to do? So I have two aunts and they are each taking the following to their emergency consulate appointment in Guadalajara tomorrow: Medical Letter from doctor, Medical Records (limited), I-131, Birth Certificate from sick patient in US, Their Birth Certificate, their ID cards, Letter explaining situation. What else? What is the price if they are filing in Mex? Do they show up to the appointment and just give the docs? Additionally, on the I-131, do I select "I am outside of the country and applying for advanced parole"? Do I also put their info into the forms including address? What do i put for class of admission? And how long can i put on intended length of stay? Do I fill out Part 7 because this is Advanced Parole? How long does this take? Thank you for your help.

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

NO

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Legal
Just to clarify, I have a sick aunt here in the US. She is wanting her two sisters to come from Mexico. She is undergoing major surgery for a life-threatening tumor. So that is why we are seeking this route as I believe it is fastest for them to go to Guadalajara and self petition.
Answered in 1 hour by:
10/25/2017
Lawyer: Edward Young,
 replied 7 months ago
Edward Young

Hi. My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney. I would be happy to provide assistance. Please give me a moment to formulate a response. Also, please keep in mind that our conversation does not include an attorney-client relationship and this is for general information purposes only.​

I appreciate your help, Edward. Thank you.
Lawyer: Edward Young,
 replied 7 months ago

Since Humanitarian Parole is rarely granted, you must explain why applying for humanitarian parole is faster than applying for a visitor’s visa. Remember, you cannot convert a visa on humanitarian parole into a green card. This is a one-time only solution.

You did not mention the Affidavit of Support, Form I-134, in your description of the problem. You need to file one for each aunt in order for them to get Humanitarian Parole.

Usually, humanitarian parole for medical reasons is for a patient who is gravely ill who needs special medical treatment in the U.S. The reason you are seeking humanitarian parole is that their sister is gravely ill and you want the family to be reunited. Can you make the argument that your aunt may need an organ transplant or blood transfusion that only your aunts can provide?

Yes, on Form I-131, select "I am outside of the country and applying for advanced parole”. Also fill out their address. You can write applying for Humanitarian Parole in the class of admission line, Part 1, item 6. You are allowed to stay up to one year. This date cannot be extended. You must fill out Part 7.

Please go ahead and rate me. If you have any follow-up or clarification questions, please ask! There is no additional fee. If I have fully answered your question(s) to your satisfaction, I would appreciate you rating my service (hopefully Excellent/5 stars!) at the top of the screen. Otherwise, I receive no credit for assisting you. I thank you in advance for taking the time to provide me a positive rating! A BONUS is also appreciated if you feel I've earned one today.

We just them reunited. My aunt was given two weeks and this seems like the fastest timeline. I didn't know if I-134 had to be filled out or not. If it does, by who? Who can be the sponsor? Can it be anyone or do they have to be someone related, must they have residency? I Just need them here as soon as possible and I dont really care about converting to a green card. I just need them here. Also, what is the price? What do they have to pay once they get to the consulate?
They are self petitioning so I didn't know if the I-134 was required.
Lawyer: Edward Young,
 replied 7 months ago

I have included a link to the I-131 instructions. https://www.uscis.gov/i-131

Select the link for the instructions and read page 10 of 15, item d(2). Please make sure that all of these requirements are met.

If you have any follow-up or clarification questions, please ask! There is no additional fee. If I have fully answered your question(s) to your satisfaction, I would appreciate you rating my service (hopefully Excellent/5 stars!) at the top of the screen. Otherwise, I receive no credit for assisting you.

Again, this is different as I am not applying for someone outside the country. They are self petitioning. What are the differences?
Lawyer: Edward Young,
 replied 7 months ago

Humanitarian Parole is a form of Advance Parole. The usual use of advance parole is for a person residing in the US while a change of status is pending, wants to travel outside the US. To do this without abandoning the visa petition in the US, they need permission—in this case, advance parole.

What your aunts want is the opposite. They are living outside the US and want to visit someone inside the US for a limited time. Therefore, they are outside the US and want to come in.

is this the best way to address this issue? Again, who files the I-134 and what are the fees and support docs?
Lawyer: Edward Young,
 replied 7 months ago

Form I-134 is required to show that the foreign nationals will not become public charges, i.e. go on welfare, while they are in the US.

Here is a link to the Affidavit of Support: https://www.uscis.gov/i-134

There is no fee to file I-134.

The whole point of this approach is to get to the US quickly. Getting an appointment at a US consulate is smart because usually humanitarian parole takes 60-90 days. By going to the consulate with all the appropriate papers, maybe they will be compassionate and approve their request.

The filing fee for humanitarian parole is $575. See this link for more info: https://www.uscis.gov/i-131 Look towards the bottom of the page.

Edward Young
Edward Young
Edward Young