Ask a Lawyer and Get Answers to Your Legal Questions

Is there a statute of limitations in MA for physical abuse

in the 60's and 70's...
Is there a statute of limitations in MA for physical abuse in the 60's and 70's by a parent?
JA: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: MASS
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: No. But I have recently written a memoir and I don't want anything to happen to my mom
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No.
10/24/2017
ScottyMacEsq, Attorney

Thank you for using JustAnswer.

I'm sorry to hear about your situation. Yes, there is, assuming that the abuse was not sexual in nature. It would be 6 years from when victim reaches 16 yrs. old or violation is reported, whichever is earlier. So if you're over 22 years old, the statute of limitations would have run.

Hope that clears things up a bit. If you have any other questions, please let me know. If not, and you have not yet, please rate my answer AND press the "submit" button, if applicable.

Please note that I don't get any credit for the time and effort that I spent on this answer unless and until you rate it positively (3 or more stars). Look for the stars on your screen (★★★★★). You may need to scroll left/right/up/down to see these stars, but note that the rating is what closes out this question, so it is necessary that you do so.

Thank you, ***** ***** luck to you!

Did you have any other questions before you rate this answer?

Are you there? Please note that I am still here, awaiting your response or rating... (please note that rating closes this question out, so if there's nothing else, please rate it so that I can assist other customers that are waiting for answers to their questions).

If you can't see the stars, you may need to scroll up / down / left / or right to see them. This is where you rate so that the question will close out.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
We know it at the time but mom was/is Bipolar, like me. I'm not clear about your answer. What do you mean by "run". Is my mom safe from prosecution?

Yes. When a statute of limitations has run, that means "run out". The time has passed for a prosecutor to file charges.

ScottyMacEsq, Attorney
ScottyMacEsq, Attorney