Ask a Lawyer and Get Answers to Your Legal Questions

Im confused as to how to deal with student loan issues. In…

Im confused as to...

Im confused as to how to deal with student loan issues.

Lawyer's Assistant: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.

In Calif

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

I keep receiving text or emails offering assistance with loan forgiveness or repayment help...some with fees others saying I can get it done without fees. My loans keep getting bigger and bigger due to accurring interest, but I don't know what to do or how to respond to anyone.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

That presently my loan servicer is Navient

Answered in 1 minute by:
10/23/2017
Olivia Kent
Olivia Kent, Attorney

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. My name is ***** ***** I'm an attorney. Please note this site is general information for educational purposes only and doesn’t constitute not legal advice. You might be offered a phone call, but you are under no obligation to accept; the phone call requests don’t come from me - they’re offered by the website - but if you do want a phone call I’d be happy to do that as well. I'll be happy to help you in any way I can.
.
What can I answer for you? I've read what you wrote but I don't see a question listed. I see that you're confused about how to "deal with" loans, but I'm going to need a bit more specificity to your question in order to help you.

I guess im wondering is it legal to charge fees from loan processing agencies to help consumers with student loan debt, and have you come across instances when a fee was paid and the promises where kept and the loan was forgiven or a least brought to a manageable repayment status. I need to get going on something (repayment) because interest is accruing everyday and my loan has doubled since 2006.
sorry unable to afford a live call at this time.

I guess im wondering is it legal to charge fees from loan processing agencies to help consumers with student loan debt.

Answer: They're not charging fees on the loan, they're charging for their services as any other company would. You definitely don't have to accept those services and you don't have to obligate yourself to their fees.

Have you come across instances when a fee was paid and the promises where kept and the loan was forgiven or a least brought to a manageable repayment status.

Answer: to be honest, I'm frankly not sure that they can do any more than you can do for yourself. So if you're really really strapped for cash I don't know that the best thing you can do is give more of it to a third party. Your very best bet is to try to work out an arrangement with the loan company yourself but if you really don't feel that you're equipped to negotiate on your own behalf, then I would consider such a company. But it's very very hard to know which ones are reputable.

I hope that answers your question. As much as I wish it was otherwise, sometimes I have to give information that isn't "good news." I hope you don't take it out on me! If it were up to me, I'd only give people good news! If you don't need any additional information, could you please take a moment to check the box stating that I answered your question so that I receive credit for working with you. It doesn't cost you anything extra and it allows me to get credit for helping you. Sometimes people aren't aware that experts don't get any credit for the time and effort that we spend on our answers unless you rate it positively (3 or more stars). I hope you found it worthy of 5 STARS! If you have follow up questions I'd be happy to answer them as well. You can still ask follow up questions after rating.

Is there anything else I can answer for you?

Hello. I wanted to check back in with you to make sure you had all the answers you needed.​ Is there anything else I can answer for you?

Olivia Kent
Olivia Kent, Attorney
Olivia Kent
Olivia Kent
Olivia Kent, Attorney