Ask a Lawyer and Get Answers to Your Legal Questions

Im a software engineer that has devoted significant

engineering time worth over $30K...
im a software engineer that has devoted significant engineering time worth over $30K to a project with a physician and he has treathened to sever relationship. i have proof of emails stating 50-50 agreemnet and operating agreement
JA: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: TN
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: no
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: he wants to cut me off and recenty requested to have a 51 49 percent
10/23/2017
Gerald, Esq
Gerald, Esq, Lawyer

Thank you for using Just Answer. Please bear with me while I review your question. I will respond fully shortly. Thank you for your patience.

Thank you for your patience and thank you for using Just Answer. I want to provide you the best service I can. Please feel free to ask any follow-up questions you have.

I am an attorney with 30 years of experience; I hope to provide you information that will help you in resolving your question.

You likely have an enforceable agreement since you have emails that support your position.

Tennessee law recognizes and enforces three type of agreements:

1) Express Written Agreements

2) Express oral Agreements

3, a) Implied Agreements -in Fact

3, b) Implied agreements in law.

Since you have oral agreements that are supported by the written emails you have an express agreement. This means that you are entitled to the benefit of your bargain. That is you are entitled to 50% of any profits the activity generates.

Unfortunately you may have to sue your "partner" to get your share. For this you will need to consult a local business litigation attorney.

You can use this link to help you find a local attorney:

http://lawyers-beta.findlaw.com/lawyer/practicestate/business-commercial-law/tennessee

Take a look at this article for more information on the Tennessee laws:

http://www.tba.org/journal/contracts-to-be-enforced-as-written-or-not

I hope the information I provide is useful to you. I want you to be comfortable and satisfied with my attempt to assist you. Please, if you have ANY follow-up questions, feel free to ask.

If you ask a follow-up question and I do not respond immediately, it is because I am temporarily unavailable. I promise to respond as soon as I return. Please note that I am often unavailable Friday evening through Sunday.

Please do not forget to give me a positive rating. It adds nothing to your costs but helps me greatly. Thank you.

If you are dissatisfied with my response, PLEASE let me know before giving me a negative review so that I may try to be of better assistance. Or, if you prefer, let me know and I can “Opt Out” and your question can be re-posted without additional cost to you. I will be fair to you, and only ask the same from you.

Good luck.

Please note: Information is educational and not given as legal advice. Only your local attorney can give legal advice. I can't establish or accept an attorney-client relationship with you. All posts are available for public viewing.

Kind regards,

Gerald

Gerald, Esq
Gerald, Esq, Lawyer
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
great and thanks. So I can calculate all prodcution time expenses in addition to value of future company. Do you agree I should wait for company to grow to sue for bigger money

You should not wait to consult local counsel. You want to establish that you have a 50% ownership of the company.

You want to consult a local attorney sooner rather than later. You already have significant money tied up in this enterprise.

Most attorneys who do this work will consult with you for a relatively small amount or for free to make an initail assessment of your case.

Thank you for the positive rating.

Gerald, Esq
Gerald, Esq
Gerald, Esq, Lawyer