Ask a Lawyer and Get Answers to Your Legal Questions

At close of a jury trial I moved for a directed verdict.

Specifically, I stated to the...
At close of a jury trial I moved for a directed verdict. Specifically, I stated to the court "I move for a directed verdict...." the judge stated "Your motion is denied" before I stated the grounds for the directed verdict. The Rules for directed verdict set forth the grounds therefor must be stated. I want to file a JNOV Motion, however, since this motion must state the same grounds a my directed verdict how can I accomplish this?
10/22/2017
INFOLAWYER, Attorney
On review of your facts, you have a good case. You want to restate facts and include a memo of law in support. You want to prepare your case by creating a time line starting from the earliest event. For each event, write down key details and witnesses and if there is a document that relates to it, save it and refer to it. This timeline can be very valuable in narrating your case and presenting it later in a concrete and specific way.Please let me know if the reply is acceptable by responding “yes” or “acceptable”
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I better understand your response, since the judge denied my directed verdict before I could state the grounds, can I now move for a JNOV motion on any grounds that would support such a motion?
Correct. You have that right.
Would you kindly rate me five stars - that is the only way I get credit by the website. Thank you!
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
One last question, should I state in the JNOV motion the fact the court denied the motion thereby not allowing the grounds therefor?
I would not highlight that. Just make the motion with key facts!Would you kindly rate me five stars - that is the only way I get credit by the website. Thank you!
INFOLAWYER, Attorney
INFOLAWYER, Attorney