A law firm helped with a loan modification which was done.

A law firm helped...

A law firm helped with a loan modification which was done. We make our first new mortgage payment in November. However, the law firm cashed one 1200.00 check we paid them and have 3 post dated checks. Each check is worth 1200.00. One was dated for September (last month) and the other two are for this month and next month. We haven't been able to contact them, for the past few weeks and just found out they are closed and under audit. My checks are out there. What do I do? There is no way of contacting them. Phone lines are disconnected.

Lawyer's Assistant: Because real estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Pennsylvania

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

Law firm is in california

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

We are in agreement with the bank and after 3 months, final paperwork is sent to law firm. What do I tell the bank? We aren't suppose to talk to the bank - only the law firm talks to them.

Answered in 1 minute by:
10/21/2017
Loren, Attorney

Thank you for using JA. I am Loren, a licensed attorney for over 30 yrs., and I am here to help.

I am a certified expert on JustAnswer since 2009, with nearly 100% in 5 star ratings. So, we should be able to work through your problem.

I appreciate your patience as I review your question. I will post my response shortly.

This is general information and no attorney client relationship is established.

The site may ask you if you wish to speak by phone for an extra charge. Many find the phone call to be the easiest and fastest way to get the information they need without posting on a public forum. I am also happy to continue online.

There may be a slight delay in my replies as I am assisting other JA customers also. I will reply to your follow up questions.

WHILE WE ARE CHATTING DO NOT CLICK ON THE BUTTON TO REQUEST A SECOND OPINION. IT WILL LOCK ME OUT OF THE CHAT AND PREVENT ME FROM REPLYING TO YOU.

Are you asking about the checks or the loan documents? Have all the documents been signed?

Have you contacted the CA State Bar?

All loan documents have been signed and first new payment is due November 1st. They were suppose to cash 2 of the post dated checks a couple weeks ago but didn't.

These checks are for legal fees?

that took less time then expected
We tried to contact them but we were dealing with a legal assistant who went through the lawyers - don't know their names. The site says they are under receivership

Thank you for the additional information.

If the services for which the checks cover have been delivered, then consider your bill paid and presume the receiver will eventually deposit them. If they have not been deposited after 6 months, presume they are lost and have your bank stop payment and wait for the receiver t contact you, if they ever do. You would probably also want to send a letter to the last address of the law firm to let them know of the action you are taking. The letter may never be read, but, at least you will have proof you tried to make contact.

You can also contact the bank if you want. There is no rule which would prohibit that.

If (and only if) you are completely satisfied that your question is answered, please remember to leave a favorable rating (click 5 stars in the rating section on this page). It is the only way that I am credited by JustAnswer for answering your question.

There is no additional charge to you for rating me favorably.

Loren, Attorney
Phone call session started