Ask a Lawyer and Get Answers to Your Legal Questions

Can a municipality give permission or write legislation to

allow people to park on...
Can a municipality give permission or write legislation to allow people to park on private property with no consequences for a set amount of time if they are not patronizing the stores who own it or visiting the home of whom owns it
10/19/2017
Dwayne B.
Dwayne B., Attorney

Hello and thank you for contacting us. This is Dwayne B. and I’m an expert here and looking forward to assisting you today.

Please allow me several minutes to read your facts and type my response both initially and when you add a follow up question or add facts. Please don't ask "are you there", etc., since when you post it can erase what I am working on. If we are having a conversation unless I tell you I am going offline, I will be here but I may be doing research.

While waiting for a response, please do not keep asking questions, such as "Are you there", etc. since that can erase whatever I am writing and also interrupts the thought process. I will be back with you as soon as I can do any research necessary, formulate a response, and type it in.

If you receive a notice or email regarding a phone call for an extra price that comes directly from the website and not from me and I have no control over the sending of the notice or email. I don't take part in the telephone program and only work through this format and under your facts this format should be sufficient.

No, there is really no way for a municipality to make an ordinance that is enforceable and which allows just anyone to park on private property without some kind of compensation and/or agreement from the property owner.

To do so would be an unconstitutional "taking" of property. The only exception would be if the city had some how provided compensation. For instance, in a nearby town the government had given all the property owners an easement to use an alley and in exchange had asked that they allow an easement for people to park on what had been their private property for festivals, etc.

But cities can't just take the right to park on private property without giving something in return.

If your question has been answered then I'd offer my best wishes to you and ask that you please not forget to leave a 5 Star Positive Rating so I receive credit for my work. Of course, please feel free to ask any follow-up questions in this thread. I want to be sure all of your questions are answered.

Even if you are a subscriber or have a trial membership please leave a 5 Star Positive Rating so that the website knows I have answered your question.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
What law protects private property owners Can I get the Law please?

It is the 5th Amendment of the Constitution.

There is an article about it at http://realestate.findlaw.com/land-use-laws/the-taking-of-property-for-public-use.html

Dwayne B.
Dwayne B., Attorney
Dwayne B.
Dwayne B.
Dwayne B., Attorney