Ask a Lawyer and Get Answers to Your Legal Questions

I have joint ownership in a home with my now ex boyfriend of…

Customer Question
I have joint ownership...

I have joint ownership in a home with my now ex boyfriend of 13 years. I moved out, he lives in it and does not want to sell. If I wait until next year, while he's been making payments on it, am I still entitled to 50% of the sales proceeds or would his payments be deducted up front?

Lawyer's Assistant: Because real estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Washington

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

Not at this time

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

My ex has been paying the mortgage, and cable, I've covered everything else while we've lived in the house for 5 years. He is currently unemployed.

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Legal
Answered in 1 minute by:
10/19/2017
Lawyer: Loren, Attorney replied 4 months ago
Loren, Attorney

Thank you for using JA. I am Loren, a licensed attorney for over 30 yrs., and I am here to help.

I am a certified expert on JustAnswer since 2009, with nearly 100% in 5 star ratings. So, we should be able to work through your problem.

I appreciate your patience as I review your question. I will post my response shortly.

This is general information and no attorney client relationship is established.

The site may ask you if you wish to speak by phone for an extra charge. Many find the phone call to be the easiest and fastest way to get the information they need without posting on a public forum. I am also happy to continue online.

There may be a slight delay in my replies as I am assisting other JA customers also. I will reply to your follow up questions.

WHILE WE ARE CHATTING DO NOT CLICK ON THE BUTTON TO REQUEST A SECOND OPINION. IT WILL LOCK ME OUT OF THE CHAT AND PREVENT ME FROM REPLYING TO YOU.

Do you have any sort of written agreement regarding co-ownership? Is he paying any rent for your your interest in his exclusive possession?

Tina, Lawyer