Ask a Lawyer and Get Answers to Your Legal Questions

How do I find my daughter a pro Bono criminal lawyer?

Instead a public defender. Can her...
How do I find my daughter a pro Bono criminal lawyer? Instead a public defender.
Can her PO request house arrest and is $10,000 bail then eliminated if approved?
She was told by a CO in county jail she would not need pay the $10 per day fee for ankle bracelet due to she has a bad disability, can't work and has a disability case pending approval. Is that correct info.
Answered in 1 hour by:
10/18/2017
TJ, Esq.
TJ, Esq., Attorney

Hello and thank you for the opportunity to assist you. My name is ***** ***** I will do my very best to answer your legal questions.

If your daughter wants a free attorney, other than the public defender, then she has her work cut out for her. Most attorneys do not have the time and resources to handle cases for free. But your daughter may wish to contact her local county bar association to ask if they have a list of attorneys or programs in which pro bono services are offered. It's quite possible that they have such a list, though it's also possible that they will refer her to the public defender.

The PO can indeed request house arrest. The $10,000 bail can be eliminated, or not, depending on the judge. It's ultimately within his discretion to make that determination. If she is disabled and cannot work, then it does sound correct that the fee will be waived, though she will likely need to provide some sort of evidence of the inability to work.

Does that answer your question(s)? Please let me know if you need clarification, as I am happy to continue helping you until you are satisfied. Also, please remember to provide a positive rating via the stars (and note that your positive rating is the only way that I'll get credit for helping you, so it is much appreciated!). Thank you. :)

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
it does. Thank You. I have 1-2 other questions. I've not heard back from...the cop. Im trying drop the 2 felony charges she was charged with for taking my car. I never realized the horrible impact of calling the police till next day when it was too late. The cop involved said he can talk to DA on my behalf see if they drop charges. He said Monday he would. I heard nothing yet from him either way..does it take time? I left him voice message today, if he doesn't respond next few days..then what..( I dropped off to police station also a typed statement for him to get to DA as to why I want the charges dropped). Should I had handle this a different way on my own to try get those charges dropped? It's so confusing. My daughter was bringing car back when she got pulled over so she says. She doesn't need more jail time. Needs surgery. Can she request thru medical department in country jail and her doctor to be able be taken to get the surgery if she does jail time. Her PO says so. I have no idea how that works. Maybe you don't know. My daughter said medical department not very nice to deal with. No pain meds for severe crippling Arthritis. They Stopped important Rheumatology meds such as 2700 mg per day gabapentin...hell and methadone..been on 14 months. Nothing for withdrawal. I'm very concerned for her health. Can barely eat! She ask me to contact medical department. She will sign a release form so they hopefully will talk with me.
Thank you for your help....

Hi again.

Yes, it does take time to get things moving on a dismissal. The cop may not have had time to talk to the DA, or perhaps the DA was not available, or it's possible that the DA is reviewing the situation to make a determination and hasn't decided yet. Bear in mind that in a criminal case, the victim is not the plaintiff. Rather, the state is the plaintiff. Accordingly, the victim does not have the power to dismiss a case. That is the DA's decision alone. But as far as handling it at this point, it sounds like you've done all that you can at this point. Now you need to wait to see what happens. It could take quite a while for a decision to be made.

TJ, Esq.
TJ, Esq., Attorney
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Alright that's what I thought. So sit tight and pray and be patient. At least I can relay what you have told me to my daughter when she calls tomorrow. Whatever happens I do know my daughter my 2 big mistakes pass 10 days. I'm still trying comprehend it all.
Thank you again ....
TJ, Esq.
TJ, Esq.
TJ, Esq., Attorney