I was informed today that a past employer from over a decade…

Customer Question
I was informed today...

I was informed today that a past employer from over a decade ago still had all of my personal information and then a hard drive with that info was stolen. Is it legal for them to keep my information for 16 years?

Lawyer's Assistant: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Texas

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

Yes, they have filed a police report and are offering one year of credit monitoring.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Um... it was cheddars. The really crappy "home cooked" restaurant?

Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: Legal
Answered in 1 minute by:
10/18/2017
Lawyer: Attorney2, Attorney replied 9 months ago
Attorney2
Attorney2, Attorney

Welcome to JA and thank you for your question. I will be the Attorney that will be assisting you.

is it legal?

Your information can be maintained for any period of time if there is no company policy to delete this information. That being said you may have an negligence action against the restaurant.

There need to be strict procedures for record retention. In fact an employer can be in legal jeopardy for destroying employee records. There must be an HR policy setting out records retention and it must be followed. https://www.shrm.org/resourcesandtools/tools-and-samples/toolkits/pages/recordsandreportingrequirements.aspx

Are you online with me?